Ram Problem

Nightmare

When I go into the BIOS of my laptop it reads that there is only 13mb of ram present but I know for sure that there is 192mb installed. Recently I had windows 2000 crash on me and have been unable to boot into it or reformat the drive to reinstall it. Does anybody know what the problem is. BTW the 192mb of ram is on one stick.

starcab

Are you sure it's on one stick?Usually they come on 64,128,256,512,1024 sticks.Have you ever upgraded the RAM?You could try to update the BIOS.

Nightmare

I'm positive that it is one stick. How do I update the BIOS. Unfortunately I am having problems installing an OS on my hard drive and I think this may be the reason.

Technogab

I'm positive that it is one stick. How do I update the BIOS. Unfortunately I am having problems installing an OS on my hard drive and I think this may be the reason.

That's very odd. I would bet that you have a 128MB stick and maybe 64MB ram built into the motherboard.

Sounds like a RAM issue, try pulling the 128MB stick out and see what happens. But it sounds like the onboard RAM has gone bad and that's why it is only counting up to 13MB. If you pull out the 1 stick and boot up and it still counts to 13MB, then you know its reading the onboard ram and that something is wrong with it because it is not counting to 64MB

Nightmare

OK it is a 192mb stick of RAM. It says it on it. I just pulled it out and put it back in and the same result occurs. My dad has a laptop with 64mb of ram so I'm going to try that to make sure that my RAM is dead. How much would it cost me to replace this?

StrangleHold

Staff member
OK it is a 192mb stick of RAM. It says it on it. I just pulled it out and put it back in and the same result occurs. My dad has a laptop with 64mb of ram so I'm going to try that to make sure that my RAM is dead. How much would it cost me to replace this?

I would say its a 256mb stick using 64mbs of ram for onboard video 256-64=192?

Nightmare

Guys it is a 192mb stick. I can post a picture of it if you want me to. And my laptop is old so it only uses 4mb for video.