random restarting

jwhert

my computer is randomly restarting, about once every hour or two, its probably mobo related but since im not sure yet i'm posting in the desktop section

specs will come later, i dont have much time right now

what could be causing this? again, i know i probably need to say more but i'm short on time right now

God

This happened to me once..
Apparently, after I had taken it to the shop to get it fixed which cost $100AU I found out I had got the serious virus from an ANTI Virus software. lol

cohen

OK, we will soon see:

If after that you are still infected, please post a Hijackthis log. To post a Hijackthis log, please do the following:
Click Here to download HJTsetup.exe

* Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
* Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
* By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
* Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
* Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
* Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
* At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
* Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
* Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
* Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
* Come back and create a new thread and Paste the log in your post, using Hijackthis in your Subject bar
* DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

We will look at your log as soon as we see it, and give you further instructions on how to fix your computer. Most of the time it will involve downloading more programs that will either give us logs to locate the malware or delete those malware.

Once you have posted a HJT Thread DO NOT make any changes to your PC unless the advisor helping you has instructed you to do so!

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Heh... download Memtest86 n' scan.

No recent hardware changes? Good. Lots of hardware related things to rule out. Dead RAM n' dying HDD...

jwhert

it must not have been a hardware problem, i moved all my important stuff to my second hard drive and reinstalled windows, problem solved

i am having trouble reformatting that harddrive though, going through windows it says it cant complete the reformat, and it says that immediately after i click "ok" to reformat it

any ideas on how to reformat that hard drive

cohen

you can't format a hard with an OS on it, if you are using the drive with the OS and you are trying to format that drive, it won't! If you want to do a full reinstall, boot of the disc and do it that way.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
You can't reformat a HDD that you're currently using. First things first, go to CMOS and make sure the DVD/CD drive of yours is first boot priority. Then pop in your Windows CD, boot off it, and reformat from there.

jwhert

i am trying to format hard drive C when i am running windows off of hard drive D, i couldnt figure out how to just save all my stuff on D and do the destructive recovery on C

ill try again bootin off the cd

oscaryu1

VIP Member
You probably have one HDD, but 2 partitions. You'll need to save your files to an external source, AKA DVDs, CDs, flash drives, ect.

jwhert

i have two hard drives, i put 'em in myself

i got it working, i overlooked the option to format when i booted from the cd, it was so obvious, i'm not sure how i missed it

anyways, after a lot more work than it shouldve been i have it working again