Rate my overclock!

The Astroman

Hey guys.
So, I overclocked my Core i5 750 and wanted to know how good it was.
cpuzu.png

Stability test result:
stability.png

For details on the program, see here.

At load I was at ~81°C.

Rig is the one in sig. Is this a safe overclock? Can I get more out of the CPU?

Last edited:

Stoic Sentinel

At load I was at ~81°C.

Rig is the one in sig. Is this a safe overclock? Can I get more out of the CPU?

I'm pretty sure the max operating temp is ~70C, so I'd seriously advise you to back off a little.

But other than that, 3.8Ghz is pretty good, no, don't push it unless you can get the temps lower.

The Astroman

Here's evolution of temps while stability testing:

morecp.png

I'm using a good cooler though, temps should be ok!

EDIT: And here's RAM:
ramie.png

Last edited:

lovely?

but they're not. the cooler isnt doing its job, so the odds are, the thermal paste was applied wrong, and needs redoing, or the heatsink has a screw not all the way in.

The Astroman

My cooler is better than that - I must have screwed it on wrong. I'll try re-applying thermal paste. Any tips on how to clean the base first?

mac550

yeah you really need to fix that heat issue, 80c is really not good for a CPU

cotton swabs or a soft cloth with rubbing alcohol works well.

make sure you use proper cleaning alcohol, dont use normal drinking alcohol its mostly water and electrics+water=bad

NCspecV81

banned
eh...temps are okay aslong as you aren't throttling imho. It's not like you use IBT or stress test your pc all the time.

The Astroman

I might be wrong (please correct me) but I think your RAM Timings are dismal (89 tRFC??). if you can, change to 1T and get those timings down and try to achieve 1:1 "FSB : DRAM" (ie. match your DRAM Frequency with your Bus Speed)

I changed to 1T, how to I match FSB and DRAM frequency? Lower FSB, increase DRAM or both? Or is there a multiplier (ratio) I can set?

vandassen

I changed to 1T, how to I match FSB and DRAM frequency? Lower FSB, increase DRAM or both? Or is there a multiplier (ratio) I can set?
Sorry I'm not very familiar with Core i's... but here's my logic:

On my setup, I have my RAM running at 743 mhz to match my 371 bus speed.
371 (bus) x 2 (DDR2) = 742
thus, 1:1

Yours is 200 bus : 800 RAM, thus 2:8 (which confuses me because I had to multiply my bus by 2, and yours does not)

Due to the high multipliers used by Core i5, I don't know what the best setup is, sorry about that. Also not sure if DDR3 is treated differently at all.
Sorry I couldn't be more help, looks like you need someone who has worked with a similar setup. Good luck!

spynoodle

That's a nice OC speed, but I agree that it's CRUCIAL that you bring those temps down. I know that it's okay to run it at high temps, but unless you want a dead CPU in a few years it's best not to. Like everyone said: rub off the heat paste with 91% Isopropyl alcohol. You can find it in walmart. ;) Then reapply about a bb bullet (or a bit more) sized amount of thermal paste, and spread it a bit. Then make sure your cooler is screwed down correctly, and that's all you should need to do.

Aastii

VIP Member
in what world is the megahalems not as good as the noctua?

Check that you have decent air circulation, it is all well and good having an aftermarket CPU cooler, but if it is only moving hot air what is the use?