re-installing window XP

lulumara

Hi need help , I was may be the first person to be hit by Conficker Virus worm , me and dumb decision this morning i open my computer I thought it was just another update of Java I click and update it but when I check update of my anti virus(One Care) it won't update and read in the news that if you can't update your antivirus that you got the worm. So I did re-install the window XP - it setup, format,partition and copy files but when rebooting again it doesn't install the window XP . Usually after setup and reboot right away it will install the windows. Oh I got two hard drive C(master) and F, then I exchanged it to make Hard drive F as Master but can't even to install the windowxp? Any idea how can i re install the Window XP?I lost all the files in it because i read that even the files can be infected so I don't bother copying it.NEED HELP PLEASE??

Bodaggit23

Are you talking about IDE drives?

If so, check to make sure the Jumpers are correct, since before
your other drive was the Slave, and now it's the Master since
you swapped them.

lulumara

I did put it back again to the original Oh sorry I kinda not familiar with hard drive I was talking about Sata drive both of them. computer recognized that there's a Sata drive in it. But after setup , format and copying files were done supposed to be re -start right and install the XP but it will again shows the setup procedure? Anyone knows how to configure it?

Bodaggit23

Sounds like your BIOS is set to boot from cd.

You'd have to change it to boot from your
Hard Drive first.

lulumara

I did reset the boot to Hard drive but it doesn't work also. then reset again in boot to cd it won't work. Is there anything such as registry is damage by this conficker worm? I read one topic here about it it says even you install the Window xp it will only goes back and forth to setup of installation of window xp . it will not go thru installationis that a fact about this virus ? Thanks for responding but I will try again what you told me .Anymore idea?

Zatharus

VIP Member
I did reset the boot to Hard drive but it doesn't work also. then reset again in boot to cd it won't work. Is there anything such as registry is damage by this conficker worm? I read one topic here about it it says even you install the Window xp it will only goes back and forth to setup of installation of window xp . it will not go thru installationis that a fact about this virus ? Thanks for responding but I will try again what you told me .Anymore idea?

That is correct, Windows XP installs will start from the CD and then finish from the hard drive. I highly doubt that the problem you are facing now has anything to do with the virus since you already said you formatted the drive and began the Windows XP install.

Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the hard drive. If you have multiple hard drives installed, make sure to check their boot order as well. Begin the installation again by entering the boot menu (i.e. F12 after post - varies by BIOS) and choose to boot off the CD. Continue as you did before by starting the install. Windows Setup should now continue through the installation.

miftahur

banned
I suggest you to install windows XP in your hard drive with another computer (may be with your friend's computer) wich not infected by virus/worm. But if that can not work again, please make sure that your hard drive is well or not damage. May be conficker can damage some hardware. So, once again make sure that damage is from software or hardware.

www.miftahcomputer.co.cc

Last edited:

lulumara

To all of you who responded to my help- Thank you very much all of you are GREAT!!! I did boot on hard drive right now it said finished but instead of Window XP media it installed XP professional then it shows in the screen choose window xp prof. or window xp media to install and put your cd , so I clicked the media and it install again as of now I 'm still waiting for 30 mins to install the XP media I hope it will work right now. I will tell you if it works again THANK YOU VERY MUCH YOUR THREE GUYS are my Saviour CHEERS!!!!!

lulumara

Zatharus and Miftahur thanks really appreicate it. But I'm still working on it waiting for installation to finish.

miftahur

banned
OK...
Up to you. wich one you think better, you can do...
I think it will be better if you try and try again, so you will have many experience

lulumara

Hi again, I did finished installing xp media and run ok but last night & this morning a blue screen appeared:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS OR EQUAL

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed, disable or remove any newly hardware or software. Disable Bios memory option such as caching or shadowing use safe mode or disable componenets restart your computer press F8 select advanced star up options and select safe mode.

STOP: 0X0000000D1, (0X00000001, 0X890ffd79)

Beginning dump of physical memory .
physical memory dump complete.
Contact system Administrator.

I did tried safe mode but don't know where to begin?or do what it says like disable Bios memory such as caching or shadowing.

Any advice? Thanks again to all of you but another problem arised?

Bodaggit23

Now that you have your OS installed, you will need to update all your drivers.

Go to your motherboard manufacturer website and look for Chipset drivers,
LAN drivers, Wireless LAN drivers, etc.

Zatharus

VIP Member
Hi again, I did finished installing xp media and run ok but last night & this morning a blue screen appeared:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS OR EQUAL

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed, disable or remove any newly hardware or software. Disable Bios memory option such as caching or shadowing use safe mode or disable componenets restart your computer press F8 select advanced star up options and select safe mode.

STOP: 0X0000000D1, (0X00000001, 0X890ffd79)

Beginning dump of physical memory .
physical memory dump complete.
Contact system Administrator.

I did tried safe mode but don't know where to begin?or do what it says like disable Bios memory such as caching or shadowing.

Any advice? Thanks again to all of you but another problem arised?

In the BIOS you should have an option to enable or disable BIOS caching to RAM. Try this first and see if you can continue to boot.

lulumara

I will do that all your suggestions but I had another issued again every time I click yahoo.com or anything in the site error and it will closed the website I'm on ? what 's the problem with that?