Reading the License Agreement

Do you actually read the Software License Agreement for new software?

• No, I just push agree when it first comes up.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Yeah, I kind of skim through it first.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Yes, I read the whole thing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mattu

Ok, forgive me if this has been done before, but do you all actually read the Software License Agreements when installing new software? Just something I was wondering what everybody else does.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I have done all 3 at various points. You can find some interesting things in them. For example, the Microsoft Security Essentials license has a clause which says you can claim damages of $5 under certain conditions. For most video games I just hit agree, but other software I tend to at least skim it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have done all 3 at various points. You can find some interesting things in them. For example, the Microsoft Security Essentials license has a clause which says you can claim damages of $5 under certain conditions. For most video games I just hit agree, but other software I tend to at least skim it.

Apple has a clause in all their EULAs that you are not allowed to design weapons of mass destruction with their technology. Since they copy and paste it to all Apple products, it also says this, on iTunes....haha

I skim through them, if it is for an Operating System, or some sort of web service (ebay, facebook, paypal, etc) I will read the whole thing in depth. I also read through my loan and credit card contracts as well.

Things like basic software apps and video games, I just usually hit agree. Those are all the same. Don't pirate, don't illegal distribute, etc etc etc.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Apple has a clause in all their EULAs that you are not allowed to design weapons of mass destruction with their technology. Since they copy and paste it to all Apple products, it also says this, on iTunes....haha
I always get a kick out of that. As if I care if I'm violating their license if I'm designing weapons of mass destruction :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
I always get a kick out of that. As if I care if I'm violating their license if I'm designing weapons of mass destruction :p

Well to be honest I don't think those clauses hold much water in court. Once you purchase/lease software you have a lot of rights of what you can do with it. There have been cases where EULAs did not hold up in court cases, though now I cannot recall what those cases were. I just remember judges ruling on them that the end user has a right to do whatever they want with in reason if they legally paid for the product.

Which is why hacking hardware is not illegal. If you hack your Wii or your PS3 it is not illegal, but you may void your warranty.

tremmor

Well to be honest I don't think those clauses hold much water in court. Once you purchase/lease software you have a lot of rights of what you can do with it. There have been cases where EULAs did not hold up in court cases, though now I cannot recall what those cases were. I just remember judges ruling on them that the end user has a right to do whatever they want with in reason if they legally paid for the product.

Which is why hacking hardware is not illegal. If you hack your Wii or your PS3 it is not illegal, but you may void your warranty.

Not true. I would not run with that. Hardware, device or software could easily be declared as pirate device with the government. If it is and they prove use for illegal activity and if they can show a trail that you did something illegal it will lead a trail back to you. In most cases they are afraid also to prosecute because if they fail they will be back in court for malicious prosecution and extortion.

On another note its usually and depending on the proof its to federal court with intent. A stupid jury could convict you. Yea you could have used it.
I for example was direct tv and dishnetwork. i separated from the civil case with 10 people. i went it alone. the civil suite was tied to a $1,000,000 fine with 10 people. Each had to pay $100,000. Mine was different. Never made it to jury. I am not allowed to have it was part of condition. Im out and glad. It was going to cost me another $2500 with a jury. Lawyer offered like $1500 and conditions were set for me.

an example might be a glitcher for smart cards. Makibu was one. declared a pirate device. Wii fit kit. Makibu owner programed a U.S. feds card. then they were able to confiscate all the records, credit card numbers that led a trail back to you. Programing eproms or something specific to like Wii or play station and you know will get you a round in federal court. and its not free and risky.

If your are going to get one ya better pay cash with no trail.

Last edited: