Reasons why VISTA is an EPIC FAIL Operating System

Dngrsone

VIP Member
And I think you achieved your goal in being a dick.

Vista WAS a choice for me, I upgraded as soon as the beta came out. it wasn't massively buggy or sluggish. I ran it on a P4 with 1.5gb of ram and an x700 Pro. It was snappy.

Oh snap, you compared Vista to ME, you are automatically = win, since you know, ME sucked so anything you compare it to must also suck, regardless of whether that argument holds any weight for people who actually used it.

Oh, if you think that is being a dick...

Let's just say I have been and can be much worse and still not get banned.

At any rate, Vista and ME are both transitional upgrades-- Microsoft was running behind (as always) on their timetable so both packages were rushed out the door with significant chunks not thoroughly tested or operational at all. After all, there would be plenty of time to patch and issue service packs after publication and besides which, a much better OS was in the wings just another year (or so) away.

I chose to use Vista, on 2 of my systems, I still choose to use Vista. Because I'm a student I can get a copy of Win 7 for very cheap, however I choose not to, not because I don't want to pay, but because Vista works, and because it works very well and it is a great OS.

I chose not to go back to XP because Vista is better than XP, and I choose not to go back to XP from 7, again, because 7 is better.

And that is the first time I have ever heard of Vista being compared to ME. ME was a massive fail because it was so damn unstable. Vista though has amazing driver support, with the release of the SP's is extremely stable, it can be run on basic hardware (by today's standards), it has great program and developer support, so how, exactly, is it comparable to ME?

You prove my argument-- you chose Vista not because of its superior operation, but because it was cheaper than your preferred OS, Windows 7.

For the same reasons I choose to run Ubuntu, and likely will put Vista back on my laptop because I choose not to pay in excess of $100 for Win 7 and Vista is what came on the laptop. The reason I will put Vista back on is so I can play a couple games that have not ported to wine.

I actually prefer XP Pro to Vista, but I haven't a spare license at the moment, so Vista it is.

StrangleHold

Staff member
At any rate, Vista and ME are both transitional upgrades-- Microsoft was running behind (as always) on their timetable so both packages were rushed out the door with significant chunks not thoroughly tested or operational at all. After all, there would be plenty of time to patch and issue service packs after publication and besides which, a much better OS was in the wings just another year (or so) away.

ME and Vista was a transitional upgrade. But what Windows OS is not?

98/98SE and ME was nothing but upgrades on Windows 95. FAT32

XP/Vista and 7 are nothing but upgrades on Windows 2000/NT. NTFS

Microsoft has not had a ground up new OS since Windows 2000.

Untill microsoft goes with a new file system and does away with backward compatibilty with older OSs, it will be awhile till a new OS comes out.

wolfeking

banned
I hear that Windows 8 is due out in 2012. What are the chances that it will be all new (the replacement to NTFS)?

speedyink

VIP Member
Oh, if you think that is being a dick...

Let's just say I have been and can be much worse and still not get banned.

I don't give a crap, I was being sarcastic.

...Did you actually use Vista at launch? What chunks of the OS exactly weren't working? Even the beta builds months before release worked fine for me.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
...Did you actually use Vista at launch? What chunks of the OS exactly weren't working?

The parts that kept it from crashing on a daily basis on my wife's new laptop.

Returning to my first post in this fail of a thread, I did say that Vista was much better than ME and therefore not epic in its fail. I still hold a large grudge against Microsoft for hiding all the power functions behind a dozen useless menus and having to verify I know what I'm doing every single step of the way for no particular reason than to give an illusion of security that really isn't there.

Then there's the fact that Autoupdate feels the need to turn the firewall back on whenever it installs a new set of patches... it was turned off for a reason, dammit!

wolfeking

banned
Goes for 7 and vista too. They could have tought the timer on auto update to actually tell time. geez, it says postpone with options of like 15 min, 1 hour and 4 hour reminder, yet no matter what you choose, that box is back in 10 minutes. Very difficult to deal with when your working on something important.

Droogie

in my personal experience, and this is just me, i've run into more issues with windows 7 than i did with vista. for whatever reason steam doesn't like to play nice on my rig, i've had a ton of issues with steam and steam games both on vista and 7.

@ speedy

<--- you lost your Brian privileges

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member
The parts that kept it from crashing on a daily basis on my wife's new laptop.

Returning to my first post in this fail of a thread, I did say that Vista was much better than ME and therefore not epic in its fail. I still hold a large grudge against Microsoft for hiding all the power functions behind a dozen useless menus and having to verify I know what I'm doing every single step of the way for no particular reason than to give an illusion of security that really isn't there.

Then there's the fact that Autoupdate feels the need to turn the firewall back on whenever it installs a new set of patches... it was turned off for a reason, dammit!

I agree, Vista was buggy on the early computers that came with it preinstalled, something about the crap the manufacturers installed on it causing issues. I always wipe and clean install with new computers, cleans it up and runs a hell of a lot better.

For power functions, search bar in the start menu is your friend. That and turn UAC off.

Turn auto update off, or at least to just check for updates, and uncheck windows defender definitions before updating. I don't update every day, I turn off all notifications and I choose when and what it installs.

@ speedy

<--- you lost your Brian privileges

Lmao, I was gonna say I thought that was a post by me at first glance :p

It's kinda crazy since that was my avatar for like 5 years...

Last edited:

Droogie

Lmao, I was gonna say I thought that was a post by me at first glance :p

It's kinda crazy since that was my avatar for like 5 years...

i know dude.. that was quite the run you had. when i saw that you changed it i knew i had to act, someone's gotta rep brian!