Pyotr

Hello.
I recently built together a PC for my nephew with the following parts:
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX
CPU: Intel i3 3220
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1x4GB @1600 MHz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
GPU: Radeon HD7550 (I think it was)

Basically, when the computer is cold and has not been on for a while, it doesn't load up Windows. BIOS splash screen is displayed and then screen goes dark and the monitor light flashes green.
If restarted right away the same thing happens. But if we let it stand like that for a few minutes and then restart it, Windows boots up perfectly fine like nothing ever happened.
BIOS is updated. But other than that, I have no clue what could be wrong.
If it's the motherboard or CPU I guess I could never really tell to be honest. I have RAM to test with and will do that today. Will also try a Linux live CD to see if it's the hard drive. I'm slightly leaning towards it being the graphics card though, since the monitor reacts in a weird way with the whole flashing thing.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Life

banned
Hello.
I recently built together a PC for my nephew with the following parts:
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX
CPU: Intel i3 3220
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1x4GB @1600 MHz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
GPU: Radeon HD7550 (I think it was)

Basically, when the computer is cold and has not been on for a while, it doesn't load up Windows. BIOS splash screen is displayed and then screen goes dark and the monitor light flashes green.
If restarted right away the same thing happens. But if we let it stand like that for a few minutes and then restart it, Windows boots up perfectly fine like nothing ever happened.
BIOS is updated. But other than that, I have no clue what could be wrong.
If it's the motherboard or CPU I guess I could never really tell to be honest. I have RAM to test with and will do that today. Will also try a Linux live CD to see if it's the hard drive. I'm slightly leaning towards it being the graphics card though, since the monitor reacts in a weird way with the whole flashing thing.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Seems to me that you have a bad copy of windows. Try re installing windows, and see if that does it.

Pyotr

But if it was a bad Windows, wouldn't it stop loading every time and not just when it's cold?
Will try it anyway of course. :)

Life

banned
But if it was a bad Windows, wouldn't it stop loading every time and not just when it's cold?
Will try it anyway of course. :)

It could be both. If it is too cold, it is more likely to be the CPU. And also bad windows. Try to keep i warmer. And what do you mean exactly with cold?

Pyotr

Well by cold I mean it has been shut off for an extended period of time. It's just a guess of mine, but since it works if I keep it on even after it fails to load Windows, my mind tells me it's getting warm and it works. I might be confusing how computers work with cars though. :p

Life

banned
Well by cold I mean it has been shut off for an extended period of time. It's just a guess of mine, but since it works if I keep it on even after it fails to load Windows, my mind tells me it's getting warm and it works. I might be confusing how computers work with cars though. :p

I mean, ho cold does the computer get?

Life

banned
Room temperature or around there I guess. Not really checked that to be honest.

Oh well then that doesn't matter. It would be you graphics card or windows. I thought you mean't like freezing cold:p. But yeah, try the graphics card in another computer. If it is fine, then I would say It is your windows. II have a similar problem. When I put my comp to sleep at night, in the morning the screen doesn't want to come on, and that started after I got my new win 7.

Pyotr

I might be able to test the graphics card in another computer. But it depends a whole lot on what motherboard that computer actually has. It's old and I don't know if it has PCI-e.. :p Might be able to try it in a decent computer later this week though.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You forgot the most important part of the system... What is the make and model number of the power supply being used???