Recommendations on temps

vonfeldt7

I need some recommendations for getting my temps down. (My NB/SB temps, everything else is fine).

I have fine airflow, and an okay case (TT Armor with 2 120mm fans in the front like the Antec 120). I've even cut a whole in the side and put in my own fan blowing directly on the mobo, but it still isn't doing enough.

My friend has the Xclio Windtunel, and components almost 100% the same as me, and his temps are MUCH better. (Due to the fact that his case's fans blow directly on the mobo.

Is there anything I can do to help? All of the fans are already 3/4 of the way up, and its REALLY loud. My house is really warm (which is the root of the problem). Idle/Load: Northbridge: 48/55.....Southbridge: 43/45.

Any ideas would be great.

vix

What are your voltages set at?

I've found that a lot of people volt the hell out of their systems because its what they hear other people are doing, however a lot of voltage IS NOT always necessary. I have my NB and SB running at the lowest possible BIOS settings, yet am still able to get a 1.2 GHz OC, even with a 6 drive RAID0 array running on the ICH9R.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I need some recommendations for getting my temps down. (My NB/SB temps, everything else is fine).

I have fine airflow, and an okay case (TT Armor with 2 120mm fans in the front like the Antec 120). I've even cut a whole in the side and put in my own fan blowing directly on the mobo, but it still isn't doing enough.

My friend has the Xclio Windtunel, and components almost 100% the same as me, and his temps are MUCH better. (Due to the fact that his case's fans blow directly on the mobo.

Is there anything I can do to help? All of the fans are already 3/4 of the way up, and its REALLY loud. My house is really warm (which is the root of the problem). Idle/Load: Northbridge: 48/55.....Southbridge: 43/45.

Any ideas would be great.

Dont know what board you have, but they make fans that screw to the N/Southbridge heatsink.

GSAV55

Theres actually a lot of factors to this question. Volts is important to consider. Also, air cooling can only make your comp as cool as the ambient air, so if your house is warm, thats the best you can get with aircooling. Also if your actual CPU temps are very high, then maybe you need to reapply your thermal paste.

Are you confident that your fans are actually doing their job? Just because they are loud, doesnt mean that they are strong, or efficient. (If you think about it, the louder your fans are, the less efficient they are, as sound is energy, and that energy comes from the PSU that is powering your fan, so noise is stealing energy that could be used to spin your fan faster for example.)

Depending on your budget, maybe you try watercooling. This however is pretty expensive, and generally isnt necessary for stock clocked components. If you are overclocking much, then I'd reccomend it a little stronger, but I don't know if you are or not.

Check out the RPMs of your fans and post us what they are. Maybe your fans arent that great and you need better quality fans.

Vipernitrox

just a few thoughts:
- better fans
- bigger heatsinks
- clean up your case (dust, cable management)

maybe post a pic of your case and the direction all of the fans are blowing in?
might give us some more insight in your problem.

vonfeldt7

I have good fans, so that's not the problem. My case is clean, and cable management is fine. I think my best bet is adjusting the voltages.

Any ideas? (My mobo is in the sig)