redundant storage setup help

mr2channel

OK second post on the forum, so just want to say Hi to everyone and TIA for any and all help provided...in turn as a residential audio video professional, audiophile and music lover, if I can help you out with anything I am "good at" please let me know, I would be happy to help out...so onto the reason I joined the forum...

I have an IBM desktop (model 8307, netvista-tower) that I purchased off Ebay on the cheap as a back up in case my laptop dies and I need a PC (cause you know we can't be left w/o one ) anyway it is straight up stock with the exception of added ram...what I WANT to do is covert it over to a music storage solution and use a Logitech Squeezebox as a music manager and what I had in mind was upgrade the power supply, add fans for cooling and drop in several 1 TB drives and set it up so that if one of my drives starts to fail the music (data) is sent to a 1 TB backup drive.

I am familiar with RAID technology and did consider that route but I do not have multiple users pulling the music at the same time, just me...so unless I am missing something a raid setup for my application would be like swatting a fly with a large sledge hammer...not really needed to do the job.

I am married with a kids so my budget is tight and will most likely do this project in pieces.

that is it in a nutshell, if I omitted info you need to help please let me know.

2CH

PC Hobbyist

OK second post on the forum...

Welcome to the forum! It'll be good to have an audio/video pro here.

..... and set it up so that if one of my drives starts to fail the music (data) is sent to a 1 TB backup drive.

Are you referring to an automatic continuous monitoring of your drives with an automatic backup system if a drive starts to fail?

I am familiar with RAID technology and did consider that route but I do not have multiple users pulling the music at the same time, just me...so unless I am missing something a raid setup for my application would be like swatting a fly with a large sledge hammer...not really needed to do the job.

If you just plan on using it as a single user and with something like Logitech Squeezebox, then I agree that RAID technology is overboard.

I am married with a kids so my budget is tight and will most likely do this project in pieces.

Then I suppose a Sonos system is out of the question. They seem really nice, but man, they are NOT cheap!!! But money aside, it seems like it would be the perfect thing for someone like you. I assume you are familiar with it, but in case you're not, you can check out a demo video here.

mr2channel

Welcome to the forum! It'll be good to have an audio/video pro here.

Thanks, again happy to help with things I am a pro at.

Are you referring to an automatic continuous monitoring of your drives with an automatic backup system if a drive starts to fail?

yes, I am ASSuming it will be some form of software, just don't know where to start looking, much less what I am looking for in that software.

Then I suppose a Sonos system is out of the question. They seem really nice, but man, they are NOT cheap!!! But money aside, it seems like it would be the perfect thing for someone like you. I assume you are familiar with it, but in case you're not, you can check out a demo video here.

yeah, I am familiar with sonos and it is really cool, and I do like it, but it is too proprietary and does not integrate well with other systems.

The reason I am looking at the Logitech Squeezebox, other than having all of the features that I want, is that it can be controlled by a Crestron processor and since I can program using Crestron software suites and I plan on using Crestron as my platform for home control the squeezebox was a no brainer.

Another part of puzzle that I am still trying to put together is how to get multiple drives to be perceived as one drive since the music must pull from one location by the Squeeze Center software.

Lastly I only have two bays for the drives and a possible third location that currently is being used for a floppy drive, which appears to be a possible location with some modification...soooo since I was hoping to house a total of five drives I am looking for a way to store them within the case without just throwing them in (the inside of the case is huge and easy to access with what appears to me to be plenty of wasted space).

So thank you for the warm welcome and look forward to getting the project out of the design phase and start putting it into motion as I am running out of room on the NAS drives I do have...been downloading too much music from http://bt.etree.org/index.php (which incidentally is great if you love the style of music offered as it is free, well recorded for the most part and not illegal to download as the bands listed are "trade friendly")

PC Hobbyist

1. I don't know of any software that will automatically monitor a drive and backup files when it sees a danger of failure. I'll look into it a bit and see if I find anything. In the mean time, maybe someone else here can point you in a good direction.

2. Okay, so it does seem that the Logitech Squeezebox is for you. I'm not too familiar with it, to be honest.

3. You might search for hard drive cages on ebay. There are so many different types. Maybe you'll see one that you could adapt to fit into your tower (maybe standing up vertically??). It's hard to say, since I don't know what your tower case looks like.

4. Hmm, if the Squeeze Center software can only pull songs from one location, then maybe you would indeed need a RAID setup to get several drives to appear a one.

I wish I could be more helpful. Unfortunately, I don't know enough in this area, to give you the best answers. But, here is another idea. Although it might sound crazy, it might really help you. Are you familiar with Revision3? It's internet TV for computer enthusiasts. You can submit a question to either the show System or Tekzilla. In your case, probably "Systm" - they are all about building things and doing all kinds of interesting projects. They might be interested in your project, since they are always looking to take on projects just like that. Tekzilla focuses more on gadgets and apps for computers (for example the Squeezebox etc). Check them out if you think it might help you get some advice from pros who have experience building all sorts of tech-related things.

mr2channel

Thanks PCH! I will check these links out...sometimes all I need is a push in the right direction. I will revisit the thread with updates, I am sure their is bound to be someone other than me that would be interested in a project like this.