Reinstall Windows 7 - Using a Different Partition

calumn

Ok, the time has come for me to reinstall windows. I originally had windows vista and bought an upgrade disc to go to windows 7 - so it was already slow and messy to start with.

But basically I have about 400Gb of files, photos, music + emails, favourites, documents and stuff to back up from a total of 5 user accounts.

I was going to back this all up to a mixture of external hard drives, dvds and other computers but it will take ages.

I was wondering if it is possible for me to repartition my current drive (1 Tb with a single partition) to be two 500gb paritions - so my current files, windows installation etc. will be in one partition and the other will be empty. And then for me to install windows 7 in the new partition so I can just move the files between partitions and then wipe the old partition and merge them together.

Is this possible? I know how to partition a fresh drive, but can you do it with one that has data on it without losing any?

User0one

Windows 7 has a option to make new Partitions from within Windows. It doesn't always work with lots of data on the Drive though. Google will lead you to directions if you can't figure it out.

In the end you would wind up with the New Install not being on the C Drive. That can cause problems with some Programs that like to install there.