Remote Desktop Access?

JohnJSal

If I have Windows HP Home SP2 and my mother has Windows Vista Home Premium (newly arrive Dell computer), can we (easily) set up remote access so I can see/do things on her computer? Or, if possible, is it too much hassle?

Thanks.

JohnJSal

Logmein.com is that you need ;) free and awesome!

Nah, I didn't want any kind of program to install. I was thinking maybe it was a simple setup like setting up a wirless network or something. For what I need to do, it would definitely be more trouble than it's worth if setup took longer than a few minutes. :)

massahwahl

VIP Member
The setup for logmein won't take you longer than a minute and you can access your pcs from anywhere in the world. Windows has built remote desktop but it blows, I can guarantee anything you find will require you to install a program of sorts.

JohnJSal

The setup for logmein won't take you longer than a minute and you can access your pcs from anywhere in the world. Windows has built remote desktop but it blows, I can guarantee anything you find will require you to install a program of sorts.

Thanks. I'll look at it, but it may be faster just to talk her through the steps she needs help on. ;)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Logmein is fast and easy to setup. Use their trial. You get 30 days to use it (iirc). It's the best. Really. Don't fumble around with the built in Windows Remote Desktop app.

JohnJSal

Logmein is fast and easy to setup. Use their trial. You get 30 days to use it (iirc). It's the best. Really. Don't fumble around with the built in Windows Remote Desktop app.

Yeah, naively I was thinking that I would just put in some port number or something and be magically connected. Since all I really need to do is set up her outgoing email servers, I think she can handle a walkthrough on the phone. :)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, naively I was thinking that I would just put in some port number or something and be magically connected. Since all I really need to do is set up her outgoing email servers, I think she can handle a walkthrough on the phone. :)

Whatever works best. With logmein, in a matter of minutes, you can log into your mother's computer and have full access. In my experience, it's been a lot easier than trying to give instructions over the phone. :p You just log in and take care of everything.

JohnJSal

Whatever works best. With logmein, in a matter of minutes, you can log into your mother's computer and have full access. In my experience, it's been a lot easier than trying to give instructions over the phone. :p You just log in and take care of everything.

And it works no matter what OS is being used? I think it may have been a mistake to get Vista for her, but that was the default. She called me last night because she couldn't figure out where the Shut Down option was. :)

(I just couldn't bring myself to choose the XP option for an extra $160, no matter how much I preferred it.)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
It works with Vista. She would need to install logmein on her computer in order for you to access her computer. That's the only catch (you'd have to explain the process). If you can figure that out, you log in with her info from your PC and do all the necessary work. You don't have to install anything on your PC.

massahwahl

VIP Member
When my parents got a laptop that was the first program I installed on it and it has been a lifesaver. Easily diagnose and fix issues for them when they arise. Its great because I can do it from anywhere!

JohnJSal

It works with Vista. She would need to install logmein in order for you to access her computer. That's the only catch. If you can figure that out, you log in with her info from your PC and do all the necessary work.

Eeep, that would be the tricky part. *That*, at least, would require the talk-through. :)

massahwahl

VIP Member
The install process is not bad, if I walk someone through it I usually go through the same steps on my pc so I can see exactly what is on there screen to help them.

tremmor

never tried the one your using. I did, have and still using RealVNC Enterprise. works well. they also have a free but no security.

Macky

if your mother's computer is not very far from your computer. wireless application might be useful but if it across country or state remote access would be the solution of your problem. download this software and test it first on two computers which you can manage to manipulate after mastering maybe it's time to know your mother's capacity an knowledge about computer. instruct her about running the program.