Repairing OE6

Nikole

Problem with OE6. Can not send email. Message says my address is not recognized. Browser IE7. I went to add/remove programs and selected IE7. No repair option - only for removal. OE6 is not listed there. I opened OE6 and checked the properties and all is correct. I also uninstalled the account and re-entered it - no help.
This is what I get when trying to send email:
The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '**********'. Subject 'test', Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Authentication Required', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Any help appreciated

Zatharus

VIP Member
Hello Nikole,

You will need to enable SMTP authentication when sending email through that account. This is very common.

To do this:

1) Go to the Tools menu in Outlook Express. Select Accounts.
2) Click on the Mail tab and you should see the account in question. Select this account and click the Properties button on the right.
3) Click on the Servers tab. Here you should see a check box with "My server requires authentication" next to it. Check that box then click the settings button next to it.
4) In the Outgoing Mail Server window that should pop up, select "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" and click OK.

EXTRA - if your account also requires SSL encryption (not a bad idea if it supports it anyway) you must also do the following. If your account does not support SSL encryption, skip to step #7:

5) Click on the Advanced tab of your account properties window.
6) Check the box that says "This server requires a secure connection."
7) Click OK to close the properties window and Close to close the Internet Accounts window.

Try your account now. Did this fix the problem?