Reuse HAF 932? (Usb 2.0 case and 3.0 mobo question)

AjsGuns

Hey guys, first time building my PC and i hit a bit of a speed bump, I was buying parts on sale throughout December, I budged about $1,500 AUD (parts are very expensive here) for the case (or $1,150 USD) and ended up getting a I7 6700k (Usually sell for $579, manged to grab it for $459 so figured why not when a i5 6500 would of cost me $329) and blew my budget by a couple of $$ (spent around $1,700, had to upgrade to a Z70 board + HSF). Anyways, i purchased a HAF 932 back in 2010 or 2011 with the hope to build my own PC, however my cousin upgraded and sold me his old PC cheap, so i never ended up never using the case and it's sat in its box in my shed for the last 3-4 years. I decided I'd save some money on the case and use it to put into parts (already purchased), all good right? well apparently not..
The case is USB 2.0 (front IO panel) doesn't really worry me to much as long as the USB rear ports will be 3.0? I assume since there on the motherboard and the motherboard is 3.0 they will be? do i need to install the mobo differently? Maybe a silly question but yeah, I just want to make sure.

I assume my options are:
1) (assuming the rear ports will be 3.0) Just use the rear ports from the mobo on the back of the case for 3.0 speeds.
2) Buy a 3.0 USB drive bay for $25-$40 bucks and shove it in one of the drive bays
3) Sell the case and buy a new case.

Since I'm already $200 over budget, I'd like to just go with option 1 if that's possible, I just want to make sure the rear ports won't be converted to 2.0 or something.. would be silly to throw down 1.7k+ on a computer and have old 2.0 usb ports. Case is sealed, pristine condition and hasn't been used, would cost me about $200 in Australia to buy a NZXT H4400 or Fractal design define r5 So I'd really like to avoid that. I'm a uni student, so $200 over budget and $200 on a new case would be a massive hit.

This forum has been great in the past and saved me a few visits to computer shops (BSOD etc) so I'd love to know my options

Thanks in advance for your time :), I feel pretty deflated atm.

Last edited:

Okedokey

The motherboard USB 3 ports on the IO area at the back will work fine. You can also get extra USB 3 ports as you have mentioned by adding a front bay that plugs into the USB 3 headers on the motherboard PCB or by adding a PCIe card at the back. Either way, if it fits, its just exactly the same as any other install.

Point of it all, the USB3.0 will work fine on the back regardless of case.