Ripping/Encoding questions

FXB

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but I'd like to know if there is a way I can convert all the video files I have on my computer to the same file format. I'd also like to convert all audio files to the same format. I'd like to do this without sacrificing quality. I'd also like to be able to play all video files in Windows media center and later in itunes when I swtich over to Mac. I want all my audio files to be in a format supported by iTunes once I switch over. For the time being I do not have any issues playing audio in winamp.

Is there a software that will do a batch conversion like this? I know this will be a long project as I have about 1 Tb of content to convert.

Machin3

Most music files now are in mp3. There are also wave files (.wav) which can be easily converted with CDex which is just for wav to mp3 and ripping cds. Itunes will play mp3 and acc+, which is like radio staions. But mp3's are the most popular file formats now and you don't really see too much of any other format anymore. You should have no problem from windows to mac.

As far as video though, there are many different video formats, the most popular being .mpg, .mov, .mkv, .avi, and .mp4. I know there are many freeware software out there that will allow you to convert to the same formats but you'll always be sacrificing video quality when you encode from one format to another.

FXB

As far as video though, there are many different video formats, the most popular being .mpg, .mov, .mkv, .avi, and .mp4. I know there are many freeware software out there that will allow you to convert to the same formats but you'll always be sacrificing video quality when you encode from one format to another.

For video encoding which would you say is te best compromise between quality and flexibility (windows,mac) without being to big a file as I transfer everything with my fat32 drive which limit's files to 4gb.

jjsevdt

to me mp4 gives you the best quality. Handbrake is a free utility that works great and allows you to be as simple or advanced as possible.

FXB

to me mp4 gives you the best quality. Handbrake is a free utility that works great and allows you to be as simple or advanced as possible.

Any guides on how to use handbrake? I've never been able to get it running.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
For audio FLAC is lossless and free so it is available on just about every platform. It does, however, produce rather large files (by the very nature of being lossless) and is more processor intensive than most formats. The latter is irrelevant as far as computers go, but if you plan on playing your music on a portable device you may find that the battery life is negatively affected somewhat (if the format is even supported).

FXB

For audio FLAC is lossless and free so it is available on just about every platform. It does, however, produce rather large files (by the very nature of being lossless) and is more processor intensive than most formats. The latter is irrelevant as far as computers go, but if you plan on playing your music on a portable device you may find that the battery life is negatively affected somewhat (if the format is even supported).

Does iTunes support FLAC? Last I checked it didn't