Risk of leaving side of case open?

god008

I don't know what the risk is but I am currently trying to combat the high heats of my computer. I have an eMachines and the PC's are sturdy and small so maybe that's why. I have a 6600 GT.

I will get some thermal paste or something, if that helps at all.

BUt I just want to know any risks that may occur if I leave my case on long term. My windows are open always usually now that it's relatively warm, and my computer isn't within a closet/cupboard.

My current temps: 52 GPU (previously it was like 55?)
Ambient 37 (think it was about the same)

Geoff

VIP Member
those temps dont seem that bad.

The only risks i can think of is something getting inside, such as a pet, or something falling in their. But besides that, it should be fine.

sdumper

I frequently leave mine open for extended periods of time ... mainly because I am always tweaking something but I have never experienced any problems nor have I ever heard of any problems.

Motoxrdude

Yea i leave my case open about 1/2 the time. You should be fine. If its on the floor, or where a pet can get in, i would move it. I had my cat go in my computer and her face hit the fan, then she went frantic and unplugged my HDD on her way out.

god008

Oh I don;t have pets and it's not really in a position where I can accidentally stick my foot and stuff in. I hope it helps with the heating. I mean when I play games I can only imagine it being 70-80

Hyper_Kagome

god008 said:
Oh I don;t have pets and it's not really in a position where I can accidentally stick my foot and stuff in. I hope it helps with the heating. I mean when I play games I can only imagine it being 70-80

My video card, at Idle is 70C.. so I would love to have the temps you have at idle...
If I left my case open, all hell would break loose. Pet hair, cat, dogs... wouldn't work very well.

34erd

Sometimes leaving it open can increase temps, because whatever negative or positive airpressure that would normally be built up in a closed enviroment can escape.

god008

^ I Don't really get it, you mean the diffusion of more concentreated air and stuff. (Stuff we learned in science?)

Anyway, it's really cool and nice in my room as I have the window open. I hope it helps.

70 at idle =/

Christian Darrall

going back to weather u should leave the case open there is a prob, the dust

try a heater and put it on cool i did my cpu temp stays around 13- 14

asdfguy

To whoever it was that had thier cats face hit the fan...that's just about the funniest thing that I've heard this week. Anyways, I notice that my Mobo temp rises w/o my side panel on. However, I've got a fan on the side of my computer that blows right on the Mobo.

Another thing, by taking off a panel, you aren't providing a "manditory path" for the air to travel. You are giving the air the option of leaving the case before it blows accross your mobo. Leaving your case open and windows open really makes you rely on the air movement of the room that the pc is in. Sometimes turbulent air won't do anything to help you. Ever light a bottle rocket and then try to blow the smoke of the bottle when you're done? I would compare it to that. You can blow as hard as you want, but you might not actually be doing any good. Anyways, everyone here says that they haven't had a problem with it. I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

i.Angel

I know during LAN parties a lot of us keep our cases open, but on tables. We leave our computers on for hours (hours = 10+) in a small, closed room. We all jack a fan and place it to where the air is blowing straight into the computer. Not sure if it helps a lot, but a big fan blowing on my CPU and GPU is a lot better than the annoying 80mm I have on the side :(

helmie

I would think it would be OK to leave it open, but what ever you do,
DONT FIDDLE WITH IT WHEN THE COMPUTER IS RUNNING!

I would end up blowing my comp up if left the panel open, so i keep it locked lol

i.Angel

helmie said:
DONT FIDDLE WITH IT WHEN THE COMPUTER IS RUNNING!

Hehe... man I'm horrible for that!:rolleyes:

But now I have to be really careful since I found someone that will actually buy this rig:eek:

Bobo

banned
god008 said:
^ I Don't really get it, you mean the diffusion of more concentreated air and stuff. (Stuff we learned in science?)
When the case is closed, there is a specific air flow pattern, in one end and out the other. (no pun intended...lol :rolleyes: ) When you open the case, the fans are still blowing the air, but it is not flowing in nice orderly patterns.

But you know I don't really care. I don't even know where my side panels are, I haven't had them on in so long.

apj101

VIP Member
well my case is always open, 24/7/365
the air flow thing just really matters on how you have you case flow set out.

But regardless of air flow you can usually pull down the case internal temp by taking of the side, this will pull down your cpu temp. However anything running passive may suffer, eg a passive gpu.