Risky Power Supply?

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Hey guys, my power supply has been weird in the past couple of months. Every time I turn the power switch off on it, you can hear a very dim sound, (kinda like the sound a small gas leak would produce). But it only happens when the PSU is connected to the wall plug but with the power switched off.

The PSU itself works though apparently, I haven't had any problems with my computer regarding power.

Is this risky? Should I start browsing newegg? :p

Thanks

Seth

Well I've never seen a healthy Power supply that hisses, but stranger things have happened. Personally I'd start looking for a replacement.

Okedokey

Diewill, sorry Rosewill strikes again... LOL

All switching power supplies 'hiss' to some extent. Sometimes you can hear it, sometimes you can't.

It's caused by windings 'vibrating' in the power supply's magnetic bits. If a transformer or inductor inside has any kind of core loss, then it will act like a solenoid and the windings will "pull" on the core.

Get a quality psu this time, you do need an new one.

Last edited:

Mitch?

banned
Why does everyone knock Rosewill? I've had 5, not a single one has died, and they're considerably cheaper than the other PSUs per watt/amp. all of my 12 builds (mine and others') have all had Rosewill, not a single issue.

laznz1

Could be a capacitor getting ready to blow??

could be something different though just a thought

Okedokey

Why does everyone knock Rosewill? I've had 5, not a single one has died, and they're considerably cheaper than the other PSUs per watt/amp. all of my 12 builds (mine and others') have all had Rosewill, not a single issue.

Because they are sketchy quality, low cost rubbish units in most cases. As they are made from various chinese manufacturers, its even difficult to determine which exact quality you are getting. By in large though, they are rubbish and are not to be recommended. PSU's in particular, you get what you pay for.