router as repeater

cornelis1999

hey does anybody know how you can set a wireless router as wifi repeater? do i need to put my LAN-cable in the router or can i do it with wifi?
i have tried everything i know.

Geoff

VIP Member
Are you looking to create a new wireless network, or are you trying to extend a current wireless signal? Most wireless routers have the option to be a standalone access point, in which case you would just plug the ethernet cable into the WAN port and configure the wireless.

I happen to own a router that does not have an option for being a repeater, so being incapable is not out of the question. There's always the option of installing a different firmware, such as DD-WRT, if your router is compatible, however. Look here, if that sounds like something that may interest you.

Geoff

VIP Member
I happen to own a router that does not have an option for being a repeater, so being incapable is not out of the question. There's always the option of installing a different firmware, such as DD-WRT, if your router is compatible, however. Look here, if that sounds like something that may interest you.
A repeater is different than being an access point, most wireless routers don't have repeater functionality.

cornelis1999

Are you looking to create a new wireless network, or are you trying to extend a current wireless signal? Most wireless routers have the option to be a standalone access point, in which case you would just plug the ethernet cable into the WAN port and configure the wireless.

i wnat to extend a current wireless signal