Router Security

g4m3rof1337

I ended up purchasing this router from BestBuy:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=459640

I set it up, I have WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK for the encryption, and I'm have a problem and some questions.

One of the only problems is that one of my laptops can not connect to the network. It's an Acer, running Vista. I try to connect to the network, and it gives me the Diagnose the connection or Connect to a different network. My other laptop, a Toshiba, also running Vista, connected with no problem, as did my Mac.

Is the MAC address filtering worth it? Will I run into any issues? Once I get the laptop on the network, I plan to un-broadcast the SSID.

Thanks.

djy

my mate had this problem with a netgear he could only connect to one device when security was on.

mac filtering is the best option and dissalowng ssid broadcast as you said should be enough.
also change your router password and change the ip from the preset.
e.g in the UK most routers have 192.168.1.1 change it to something like 192.168.6.1

only problem with this scenario is that it will take longer to add devices in future

Encryptor

mac filtering is the best option and dissalowng ssid broadcast as you said should be enough.
also change your router password and change the ip from the preset.
e.g in the UK most routers have 192.168.1.1 change it to something like 192.168.6.1

Mac address filtering = Hacked.

Hiding SSID = Hacked.

Changing your default Router IP = Pointless, easy to find with a simple scan.

Encryptor
Linux rocks the planet...

Sean89

Has something to do with the encryption, happened to me too. First reset the router; itll take the encryption off, then see if the laptop will connect. If it connects you're good just try each encryption and see which one all the computers support.

Encryptor

any security can be hacked.

Correct.

Let's put it this way, even if you do your best to secure your home network, you are and can be hacked|monitored once your traffic leaves your LAN.

The most unsecure|unsafe enviroment on earth is the internet.

My personal advice is don't use wireless, unless you have no other options and in this case use WPA2-AES with a 63 character random password with numbers,letters,ASCII etc. Also use VPN or other secure protocols|services while on the internet.

Encryptor
Linux rocks the planet...

dznutz

My encryption is still WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK, that's not really worth cracking.

as long as your password doesn't contain words easily found in a dictionary you should be ok. i use words, numbers, foreign languages, and filled up the 64 character limit