Running Hot - Bad fan

rars222

This seems simple enough...I keep getting warnings that the system is running at high temps. It shows that the System Fan 2 is only running at 1000 rpms, so I am assumming it's bad.

I have 4 fans and have already switched out 2, which requires restarts and re-registering the new fans and another restart....bottom line...it's a pain.

Does anyone know how the Intel monitoring software dictates which fans are in which zones? I have 2 in front and 2 in back. Is this monitoring software reliable enough not to be giving me extremely false readings?

Is it possible that it is the heatsink fan?

I've also gone in and cleaned the inside of dust and whatnot and have used compressed air to blow out the fans. None of them seem like they aren't working. I've changed fans before, but usually 1 is making noise and it's easy to identify....

lynx6200

what is your system fan 2, is that your heatsink/cpu fan? 1000 rpm isnt much on the cpu, but check what it should be running at, taht might tell you iff its faulty. You can sometime control the speed of that fans through the software you use to minitor them, so check that out. The software isnt always relaible either for reading the temps, rpm, etc. Best thing to do, is check bios for the most reliable readings.

Some fans have two connectors, most just one. There is the power connector, which is all you need to power them, and some have a 3 pin connector, which you dont need (except the cpu fan) which plugs into the mother board so you can monitor the fans.

rars222

I am trying to figure out what it is referring to. I've checked all of the "help" options to see how it identifies it and I haven't located that info.

I know it can register up to 3 fans and it's only seeing 2. I imagine it may have something to do with piggy backing the molex connectors and then connecting them to the power-supply.

I am just being lazy too. I can switch out all 4 and then see if that makes any difference with the software reading of the RPM's...and go into bios too. I was just hoping there was a simple way to tell (but already kinda figured there wasn't...)

lynx6200

could try using speedfan for some extra readings. On your m/b, there are a couple 3 pin connectors for your fans, each of them should be labeled, telling you which fan is which. You should also be able to tell what each connector is labeled by checking the diagram i the manual. The system cant get readings for fans that are simply powered on, only if they are connected to the m/b.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well the monitor will only be picking up the fans connected via the 3pin leads on the mobo ... as for which lead is which, trial and error will allow you to figure that out :)