scan disk ultra plus SSD not recognized in windows but there in bios

ghbnic

hey,
im using a san disk 128gb ultra plus SSD in my main rig, been working fine, no tell tale signs of any problems which was about to happen.
yesterday i brought grid2, intalled and played for 2-3 hours no issues at all, went to close down windows and the 'force close down' window popped up saying 'local disk C' needs to close, before i could do anything it continued to shut down. powered off no probs.
went to boot up later on and nothing happens but a flashing cursor just after bios boot.
been into bios checked that the sandisk hdd is on 1st boot all good there. so i tried again and again but still only the flashing cursor.

next i tried the win 7 disc and doing a recovery, windows could not fined the sandisk hdd only my 2tb drives. but its there in bios.

so i removed it and put it in my caddy plugged into my lappy and it goes to 'installing new device' and nothing else happens, just disappears its not in 'my computer', nor device manager.

went in to admin tools-storage-disk management and it froze the lappy untill i pulled out the caddy, then a screen pops up saying 'you must format this decive before use' yet its been unplugged.

no idea, cant format to try and re-install windows from the set up disc as its not there, is there any software to try and find the issue here or is it just dead?
any help would be great...
cheers
nic.

Last edited:

Okedokey

I would reset the CMOS on your main computer and see if that helps first.

Then yes, you're probably looking at a damaged SSD. You could also ensure you have the latest BIOS on your SSD from the manufacturer.

Sounds like the SSD went. It's funny with them as they will die all of a sudden compared to a platter drive where you start noticing performance issues first before it dies. Unfortunately just the nature of SSD's.

spirit

Staff member
I've had an SSD die on me before (Crucial M4) - exact same problem. Recognised in the BIOS but Windows would not see it.

It's a dead drive probably, sorry. :(