screen saver causing monitor problems?

Jeff C.

Hi all, I've got a Dell 2007 monitor (A02) running on a nVidia 6800 vanilla (dell's card), DVI,using driver version 7.7.7.4. It's being used on an XPS 400, Pent. D 930, 3.0G, 2G RAM, Windows XP, sp2.

Using standard XP screen savers the monitor will sometimes freeze as soon as the screen saver begins. I get a black screen for about 1 second, then it displays a horrible horizontal line pattern, each line about 1/2 inch long and a pxels width wide, on a slight angle all over the screen. Of course, I can do nothing because I can't see a cursor or any icons. No monitor controls have any effect on the problem and I am forced to reboot using the pc power button. This obviously poses problems when I'm in a program and haven't saved work, etc., so I'm pretty bummed about having to turn off the pc this way. It does fix itself with the reboot, though.

Sooo, I tried many different drivers for the card, and none but this (that I can find) support this monitor's res. and aspect ratio.

Monitor is only two months old, but like I said I think it has to do with the screen savers. Or maybe not---I really don't know.

Anyone have any ideas for a fix on this? It's about to drive me to drink . . .

Thanks,
Jeff

PC eye

banned
The first thing? Delete the existing screen savers after assigning "none" in the desktop settings. Apparently you have a corrupted scr file or files that can easily be replaced from the Windows installation disk. At this late day screensavers are now only a vanity and not a necessity due to the improvement made since the cga and some vga crt monitors that saw screen burnins from text and others thing being displayed for long periods of time.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Windows itself could be corrupt as well. I had a fairly similar issue once, and it turned out the Windows had just been corrupted in this one area, fresh install (which needed to be done anyway...) and voila! No more problem! :D

PC eye

banned
The one way to find out if any of the needed system files in Windows are corrupted or missing is to use the system file checker. Simply type "sfc /scannow" at the Run prompt(command line) off of the Start menu and press the enter key. You will most likely see a message come up requesting the installation disk if it is not already in an installed cd or dvd drive.

For using manual commands to recopy screen savers from the installation disk there are four methods seen at http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;888017&spid=1173&sid=398