seagate barracuda HD

camel lips

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16822148288

This drive looks very attractive to me except for some of the reviews.

Reading the reviews on this I wonder why so many people are having trouble with them??

And what jumper is this guy reffering too?Where is it and why does it have to be taken off?What is SATA 3.0???

Cons: You have to remove the jumper using a paperclip if you want to 'unlock' SATA3.0...only con really

munkyeetr

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16822148288
And what jumper is this guy reffering too?Where is it and why does it have to be taken off?What is SATA 3.0???

Basically there are two versions of SATA drives, SATA I and SATA II. SATA I has a theoretical throughput of 1.5GB/s, while SATA II has theoretical throughput of 3 GB/s.

(As far as I know, the internal mechanics of hard drives make either of these theoretical throughputs unreachable at the present time. Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong!)

So, if you have a mainboard with SATA I connections and you buy a SATA II drive, you need to set a jumper on the drive (either add it, or remove it) to limit the drive to the 1.5GB/s rate so that it will work with the SATA controller.

camel lips

Basically there are two versions of SATA drives, SATA I and SATA II. SATA I has a theoretical throughput of 1.5GB/s, while SATA II has theoretical throughput of 3 GB/s.

(As far as I know, the internal mechanics of hard drives make either of these theoretical throughputs unreachable at the present time. Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong!)

So, if you have a mainboard with SATA I connections and you buy a SATA II drive, you need to set a jumper on the drive (either add it, or remove it) to limit the drive to the 1.5GB/s rate so that it will work with the SATA controller.
I am not following you.What do you mean by a jumper??

munkyeetr

Jumper
A jumper is an electrically conductive component that you place over pairs of pins to connect them electronically. For example, a jumper is one way to designate a hard drive as master or slave.

vzj3uv.jpg

camel lips

Jumper
A jumper is an electrically conductive component that you place over pairs of pins to connect them electronically. For example, a jumper is one way to designate a hard drive as master or slave.

vzj3uv.jpg
Cool,,so It sounds like I need to remove a peice of plastic off of the back of this
'HD to make it Sata 3?Will this cancel my warranty?

dznutz

Cool,,so It sounds like I need to remove a peice of plastic off of the back of this
'HD to make it Sata 3?Will this cancel my warranty?

it's not sata 3. it's sata 2.0. but the rate will be 3.0gb/s as explained by munky:

this quote has good info. read it and memorize it