Self Build Or Pre-Built?

Would You Buy A Pre-Built Computer

• Total voters

mac550

Just wondering, Out of the people who are able to build a PC, Who would buy a pre-built computer? (not including laptops)
I Wouldn't

Last edited:

G25r8cer

It depends on the budget and how soon I need it

Some stores have really good deals on cheap prebuilt desktops that you just cannot resist. Considering the price of an OS It is really hard to build a cheap yet good performing computer with monitor for say $500-600.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Why would anybody that knows how to build a computer want to buy a prebuilt? Prebuilts always have inferior parts and hard to upgrade certain things without totally redoing the whole computer due to lower wattage power supply. Eventually you'll want a new motherboard to be able to upgrade and that almost all the time requires a new case instead of an oem case.

G25r8cer

Why would anybody that knows how to build a computer want to buy a prebuilt? Prebuilts always have inferior parts and hard to upgrade certain things without totally redoing the whole computer due to lower wattage power supply. Eventually you'll want a new motherboard to be able to upgrade and that almost all the time requires a new case instead of an oem case.

Yes true but, if you want a cheap pc that is not going to be upgraded then buy a prebuilt. Say for instance this one. I would buy it if I needed it

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5390933&Sku=W180-3190

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't care what it is or how cheap it is, there will never be a prebuilt computer in my house ever again. I'm tired of the bloatware that OEM's put on their systems. And that computer you linked to has vista home basic, a celeron processor and only 2gb of memory. I worked on a computer that had basic on it with only 2gb of memory with a celeron processor and it was slow as hell.

Twist86

Never pre-built. Id rather pay more for a system I build then buy a pre-built ever again.

Anything less then a 2.4ghz dual-core is unacceptable for me....even for a email machine. Firefox takes a minute to load on my grandparents celeron system. Drives me nuts when I try to fix w/e they botch up.

G25r8cer

I don't care what it is or how cheap it is, there will never be a prebuilt computer in my house ever again. I'm tired of the bloatware that OEM's put on their systems. And that computer you linked to has vista home basic, a celeron processor and only 2gb of memory. I worked on a computer that had basic on it with only 2gb of memory with a celeron processor and it was slow as hell.

Thats because Vista is a hog

Heck I still have an old P2 system I use every once in a while with Linux

Any Computer can run "decent" with the right OS

I personally dont think I would buy a prebuilt but, I might for someone else

Geoff

VIP Member
I would buy a pre-built only if it was on sale and was cheaper then anything I could build myself, and only if it was going to be a secondary computer. I would never buy a pre-built for my main machine.

Stoic Sentinel

[-0MEGA-];1394877 said:
I would buy a pre-built only if it was on sale and was cheaper then anything I could build myself, and only if it was going to be a secondary computer. I would never buy a pre-built for my main machine.

+1, like on Black Friday, $120, why not? :p

alchemist83

Just wondering, Out of the people who are able to build a PC, Who would buy a pre-built computer? (not including laptops)
I Wouldn't

Cant tell if the thread is based with the budget consensus in mind / performance / value for money / build quality, but if my budget unrestricted then would love a custom built unique one by someone/company with far superior skill in building computers than my myself. Possibly defining my own spec's or like when you take a car to a garage and they customise their way for you. That'd be sweet, be like Pimp My PC (©)

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Self build all the way,Better components...and alot of fun making the system :D

I probably wouldnt buy a pre-built again.

Flaring Afro

Laptops are now cheaper than desktops, so I don't see a point in buying a desktop built if you have the little skills necessary to build one.

alchemist83

Laptops are now cheaper than desktops, so I don't see a point in buying a desktop built if you have the little skills necessary to build one.

eh? whats laptops pricing gotta do with with prebuilt pc / self built pc? either im reading what you said funny, or you's said it funny. I aint flaming ya, just confused as to the connection about laptop.

Totally agree with "I don't see a point in buying a desktop built if you have the little skills necessary to build one". Dont take much does it? I could teach someone easy enough if they cant get their head round or are nervous 1st time so not cock it up. I learnt myself, no one taught me

Flaring Afro

^ people had been saying only if they wanted a cheap computer just for internet or something. but places like best buy have laptops that are cheaper than their cheapest desktop so you might as well get a laptop instead.

Aastii

VIP Member
I would, but only if I wanted a backup system, or a small one to do some surfing or word processing or whatever on, because of the small prebuilt systems that you can get that come with a screen and printer and all other peripherals for a fraction of the price it would cost to do it all yourself and get the monitor, printer, peripherals etc.

however, for my main system and if anyone I know wanted a system for anything other than just internet browsing and word processing, I would say go self built

alchemist83

^ people had been saying only if they wanted a cheap computer just for internet or something. but places like best buy have laptops that are cheaper than their cheapest desktop so you might as well get a laptop instead.

thats quite mad bout being able to a laptop cheaper than a desktop, dont think i could find in uk, laptops are expensive. i want a bestbuy! no such luck, that, newegg, k-mart things like that dont deliver here. :confused:

Aastii

VIP Member

are the specs comparable though? It is all well and good saying that their cheapest laptop is cheaper than their cheapest desktop, but it is all well and good saying that if their cheapest laptop is ancient pile of cheap crap, but their desktop is a cheap pile of slightly up to date crap.

And also, read first post, laptops don't count, that would be why people have been saying they want a cheap desktop for internet or videos and what not, laptops aren't an option ;)