Sempron 140 to 3.4Ghz

ptchernegovski

Have an old AMD sempron 140, have unlocked it to dual core and OC'd to 3.4Ghz. But can only get the voltage up to 1.35V(board won't let me go higher). Just using it as an HTPC mainly with bit of movie streaming via wireless. Still using stock cooler, but am worried as would prefer to have about 1.4V, has anyone had problems running this CPU at 1.35V with it OC'd?

jonnyp11

what are the temps like?

and you only use as much voltage as it requires to not BSOD or get errors, run a stress test like prime 96 or intel burn test for a while and see how it fairs, if nothing happens than lower the voltage as it will decrease temps

StrangleHold

Staff member
Looking at the board, its only a 2+1 power setup. They probably limit the voltage to keep from burning the board up.

87dtna

Athlon II's (which is what the sempron is unlocked) run incredibly cool. Even on the stock tiny aluminum cooler I doubt he's going above 50c even unlocked and overclocked.

ptchernegovski

Will check the temps when I get it back as lent it to a mate to copy the movies over christmas. Will also run prime95 test and see how it goes. The options for voltage in the bios could chose up to 1.5V but was limited to only letting me chose up to 1.35V.
Will post what happens when all tests are done.
Cheers

jd132

Run prime and if it goes above 75, in the long run, it'll be unhealthy for the cpu, but if its below (72 or lower running prime 95) it will be fine.

ptchernegovski

Ran test for 3 and a half hours. It peaked at 62 degrees for a little while, just when it was running test and I opened chrome too. Mainly sat at 56-58 degrees.
Had 120 passes on one and 127 passes on the other and all ran fine. Can't find where results report is and I'm using laptop at the moment so will have to look again another time.

dasos

Have an old AMD sempron 140, have unlocked it to dual core and OC'd to 3.4Ghz. But can only get the voltage up to 1.35V(board won't let me go higher). Just using it as an HTPC mainly with bit of movie streaming via wireless. Still using stock cooler, but am worried as would prefer to have about 1.4V, has anyone had problems running this CPU at 1.35V with it OC'd?

I have Sempron140 too and just replaced it with Sempron x2 190.
The WEI score went from 4,6 to 6,1.
Whats your wei with "Athlon II x2 440"?
What card do you use in your htpc?

Its good that voltage fluctuates from 1.0V to 1.4V in both Semprons.
Unfortunately this does not happen with 960T(always1.35V), which I have in my main system.

ptchernegovski

Can't do a WEI score as I'm running XP on it. But it gave a huge improvement over the 140 by unlocking it.
It has a gigabyte 5450 1Gb. Just cheap low end.
Is it just the CPU or the mobo that won't let you change board?
I'm now having trouble with my CPU - RAM ratio as I added more ram but it's running 3:4

StrangleHold

Staff member
Is it just the CPU or the mobo that won't let you change board?

Do know what you mean?

I'm now having trouble with my CPU - RAM ratio as I added more ram but it's running 3:4

You do know when you overclock using the bus it overclocks your memory speed too. Do you have your bus at 250 to get 3.4ghz? Your board probably by auto back clocked your memory. You could fool around with your memory multiplier to get it back close to 800.

ptchernegovski

Do know what you mean?

Sorry may have been a little drunk when writing this

You do know when you overclock using the bus it overclocks your memory speed too. Do you have your bus at 250 to get 3.4ghz? Your board probably by auto back clocked your memory. You could fool around with your memory multiplier to get it back close to 800.

Yea I have the bus at 250 currently, it only had one 2Gb 800 RAM card in beginning so also added a second one so could run 4Gb and also run at 1:1 as it's running dual channel. Set the board at auto for it to run at 1:1 but then when checked it was running 3:4. Going to try to go back into bios and change the memory multiplier.
I still get a bit confused at times, since it's running at 250 bus speed, that would mean the FSB is in fact 1000 instead of 800?

dasos

Can't do a WEI score as I'm running XP on it. But it gave a huge improvement over the 140 by unlocking it.
It has a gigabyte 5450 1Gb. Just cheap low end.

Why do you still use XP?

I also had a 5450 but recently changed it with 6450. With 5450 I was not able to see all types of movies with no problems, are you?

My htpc is 100% fanless, I put a Scythe Mugen 2 on Sempron and temp is 30-40oC :good:

Last edited:

ptchernegovski

Haha oh what the drink causes us to do.

It was on the system when got it and it doesn't run high cache like in 7 which I'm always having with the other computers. And it works fine for what I'm using it for so thought why spend money on a new OS.
I have the odd flicker of a line with the 5450 on the screen but not that often as to be worried. Contemplating a 6570 at some stage possibly.

I'm still running stock cooler, it was quite dusty so gave it a clean and running colder.

Yay RAM problem fixed, it had gone back to single channel somehow and auto set it at 667 so reset into dual and at 250 so now 1:1 :D

dasos

It was on the system when got it and it doesn't run high cache like in 7 which I'm always having with the other computers. And it works fine for what I'm using it for so thought why spend money on a new OS.

Do you use to buy os's for home use?
Whats "high cache"?
Well, Win 7 compared to XP is like day and night.

I have the odd flicker of a line with the 5450 on the screen but not that often as to be worried.

Are you able to play all HD movies via 5450 without problems?

ptchernegovski

Do you use to buy os's for home use?
Whats "high cache"?
Well, Win 7 compared to XP is like day and night.

On my Win 7 PC the memory cache would end up about 3Gb in the end after being in use all day and the available would drop to zero and it would lag badly. But XP for me holds around the 140Mb mark.

Are you able to play all HD movies via 5450 without problems?

yea I've had no problems at all so far. But not constantly running it though.

dasos

On my Win 7 PC the memory cache would end up about 3Gb in the end after being in use all day and the available would drop to zero and it would lag badly. But XP for me holds around the 140Mb mark.

I didnt understand a single word:D
Whats this memory cache about?

yea I've had no problems at all so far. But not constantly running it though.

With Semrpon140 + 5450 512MB I had some problems in some 1920x1080 movies.
Then I replaced with Sempron x2 190 + 6450 2GB and seems to be better.

ptchernegovski

I didnt understand a single word:D
Whats this memory cache about?

Cache memory is the storage of data from things like website you visit etc so when you go back to them it doesn't have to use as much processing them next time as runs straight out of the cache as opposed to through the motherboard. Well that's my understanding of it from my research into it. For some reason my windows 7 ran really high in it.

With Semrpon140 + 5450 512MB I had some problems in some 1920x1080 movies.
Then I replaced with Sempron x2 190 + 6450 2GB and seems to be better.

yea as just a sempron 140 I had trouble running youtube and a few other pages in chrome, not to mention videos and movies while other apps ran. It didn't have a graphics card and only had 2Gb RAM. But unlocking it to dual core made a huge world of difference. I'm eyeing up a A6-3670 quad core with 8Gb RAM and putting in a 6570 or even 6670.