Server/Home Network Setup

jljhlhl

Ok here's the deal:

I bought a server online because I figured it was a cheap deal (paid around $100 for it), and I thought I might find a use for it, or just learn some new computer related stuff.

The server came with the following:

* Model: A2
* Server Board: Intel Server Board SE7501WV2
* Chassis Profile: 2U standard depth
* Processors: 2 x Xeon 2.66GHz SL6VM (2666DP/512/533/1.50V)
* No. of Cores: 2
* Memory: PC2100 2 x 1GB (Corsair/Samsung)
* Hard Drive: Fujitsu 4 x 36GB SCSI 15000 RPM
* RAID Controller: None
* Power: 350 watts, DC 12V, 100-240V
* Dimensions (H x W x D): 3.47” x 17.6” x 28.5”

Now, what else do I need to run it? A switch? Router? What all is needed?

As for the uses I'm going to be using it for...I'm thinking of just a basic file server for the computers in my house possibly, hosting a single small dedicated CS:S game server, and possibly hosting a website, but I'm not sure I'll need it for that.

What operating system is recommended for that use, and also, how do I install an operating system with no CD drive or floppy drive? I tried to install an extra copy of Windows XP Professional I had laying around but it was not recognizing the hard drives.

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated!

brian

VIP Member
OMG YOU GOT THA FOR 100$!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I WANT IT!!! :p that is extreamly good, may i ask where you got it from?

but what you want is LAN so switches etc. if you have a router you dont need the switch but if you have nothing, then you need a router. for server you have a few choices. free, is linux and they have a great os. or windows server. although pricy it is great.

jljhlhl

justdeals.com is their ebay username.

I dont know if you're allowed to link to things for sale here, but its not my items so I think it should be okay.

http://search.ebay.ca/_Servers_W0QQcatrefZC2QQsacatZ11211QQsassZjustdealsQ2ecom

They're used, but mine came in good condition, and they're a good big time seller.

I've seen my specific server sell for as low as $60 on there, and as high as close to $200, since this seller has many of them. He also has a few different configurations for sale.

Shipping is a bit pricey, $70 to US I believe, but in all, I thought it was a pretty good deal. :p Guess we'll find out if I can get it setup!

I guess for now I could use a free Linux distro, since I'm not needing this for a huge corporate network or anything. :p What would you recommend for a Linux distribution, and how would you recommend installing it? I have an external DVD writer I think would work, but just let me know the easiest way. :p

I already have a router, so thats all I need? I was just wondering because I generally see switches associated with servers, and I honestly dont know the difference between a switch and router. :p

Thanks for the help!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Windows 2000 is most stable for server use. Windows XP Pro is okay, but not as stable for servers. There is also Windows Home server, but I don't know how well that is. Although, if you want to go away from Windows, try the Which Linux Distro is right for you? quiz.

jljhlhl

I put Ubuntu on it, and its working great so far...I'm a little slow on the learning of it since I've never used Linux before, but tutorials are helping out.

I'm currently installing the dedicated server tool for my CS:S server, and then I'll work on the setting up as a home file server.

My only concern is it's only picking up on the single hard drive...would I more than likely have to install the correct SCSI controller, or is there a way to search for HD's on the system, or what is the most probable cause for not recognizing the other 3 hard drives?

Thanks for all the help so far, its much appreciated!