Server Virtualization

saba.jamalian

Dear All . . .
Is it a good Idea to install two or more virtual operating systems performing the same task on a single server instead of only one? If these virtual operating systems make a cloud, can they respond faster? (Thanks in advance)

saba.jamalian

No, I`m comparing One single server with one OS on it AND One single server with multiple virtual Operating Systems performing a same task.
These multiple virtual operating systems can be implemented using VMware for example.

Christopher

VIP Member
Still not sure if I understand you... If a task can be parallelized effectively, then you should run it in parallel on one machine with full resources.

Parallelizing by using virtualization will most certainly not improve performance. The overhead of the virtual environments takes it toll in memory and CPU time. I suppose if the task is highly scalable and virtualization is the only method to achieve parallel computations, then it might be worth it.

But I can't imagine any task that could take advantage of concurrency that isn't already built for it and could be run on a single machine.

What task are you trying to complete?

saba.jamalian

I don`t have any specific task. My teacher had said that if you virtualize two or more windows on a server, they can respond to their requests parallel and they can be faster.
I didn`t find it logical because of the overhead of virtual environments on the server.
I just wanted to make sure about it.
As you mentioned it might improve performance for some parallelizable tasks (Maybe some application servers).