Service Pack 2

dave597

VIP Member
for windows xp service pack 3 is now out. restrictive in what way? what os are you using? either way, i recommend installing it.

GameMaster

Yes, and it's sad that you haven't updated your Service Pack yet. SP2 contains necessary files to keep Windows XP safe and normal.

cohen

I'm using SP2, very good.

If your friend has a computer with an AMD processor, don't get SP3.

Geoff

VIP Member
Service Pack 2 adds the security center and a basic firewall. By "restrictive", your friend may mean that it annoys you with pop-ups every 5 seconds if you don't have security software enabled, and the firewall may block some apps that you want to run. I have both turned off.

Hsv_Man

Definantly install Service Pack 2 but DO NOT i repeat DO NOT install Service Pack 3 as it has many bugs which lock up your computer just from navigating around windows.

brian

VIP Member
Definantly install Service Pack 2 but DO NOT i repeat DO NOT install Service Pack 3 as it has many bugs which lock up your computer just from navigating around windows.

um, that is fauls, sp3 is very stable and out of all 40 computers i have installed it on, none have had any bad affects

TFT

VIP Member
There is one thing to be aware of going from SP2 to SP3.
I ran XP on SP2 and a non related problem made me to decide on a re-install, I was offered SP3 after the re-install while on the site of Microsoft updates, on which I said yes.
After this security updates would download but refuse to install, come to find out that SP3 does not include "Windows Installer" so I have backtracked to SP2 again. You can upgrade from SP2 to SP3 with no problems but you can't put SP3 on to a fresh install without adding "Windows Installer" otherwise you will have update problems.