Should I convert from FAT32 to NTFS?

Smudge

I am new to Ext hard drives and just purchased a WD 250 GB portable drive which uses FAT32. I am not too familiar with the differences between FAT32 and NTFS but I think that I remember reading where NTFS is better. I am going to use this to backup 20GB of photos, music and maybe 10 GB of documents. Do I need to convert to NTFS? What are the differences/advantages of the two. Thank you in advance!

Francisck

To fat32 you can't move a file larger than 4gbs in size so if one file is 4.2gb you can't put it on a fat32 drive. However Fat32 can be read by mac and windows!

Smudge

To fat32 you can't move a file larger than 4gbs in size so if one file is 4.2gb you can't put it on a fat32 drive. However Fat32 can be read by mac and windows!

Is this the only drawback to FAT32? All of the photos on one of my computers is 10GB. However, I have them broken down into sub folders which are about 2GB. With the current setup (FAT32) I will not be able to backup the entire folder with 10GB at once and will have to backup individual 2GB folders??? Supposing I have a file that is 5GB can I even divide it so that I can get it on this drive? Also, I do not know if this matters, but I will be using this Ext HD on a computer running Vista and one running XP Media Edition.

I do not use Mac so should I convert, and if so how is this done? Thanks

Last edited:

Vipernitrox

he's talking about files. The size of folders don't matter it's the files inside of them.

Differences:
Fat 32 can only hold files smaller than 4.2 gb, it's older than ntfs. NTFS is also more secure, you can set more rights and permissions on it, regular users don't really need it. It's more used in enterprise environments. Fat 32 is also a faster than ntfs when handling alot of small different files (you won't really notice that much).

So if you're entirely sure you'll never use a file larger then 4.2 gb take fat32. Otherwise take ntfs.

oregon

ntfs isn't really mac or linux compatible, which could be another drawback.

i have my external drive with a small fat32 partition for compatibility and a large ntfs partition for large files.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I am new to Ext hard drives and just purchased a WD 250 GB portable drive which uses FAT32. I am not too familiar with the differences between FAT32 and NTFS but I think that I remember reading where NTFS is better. I am going to use this to backup 20GB of photos, music and maybe 10 GB of documents. Do I need to convert to NTFS? What are the differences/advantages of the two. Thank you in advance!

Use NTFS, FAT32 is crap.

Manauffeuer

to convert it just plug in the drive right click it and go to format and on the window you'll see a line that says fat 32 ect then click the down arrow and go to NTFS and click format then wait like an hour an there load your files