Show off your speed

C4C

I love fast internet :)

I miss my college dorm connection.. Still fairly fast here at home in CO, but when I move into my apartment close to my college campus I'll be paying $30/mo for 10Mbps DL at the max...

this varies greatly and some days I'll get 150Mb/s+.... I'm hooked straight into the router..

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm debating getting Comcast again. I currently have a "hacked together" setup where my router connects to xfinitywifi, but that only gets me 14 down and 2 up. I miss my 175/15 connection but don't miss the $90 bill.

beers

Staff member
I miss my 175/15 connection but don't miss the $90 bill.
Same, I ditched ATT Gig and TV for some basic TWC plan. It's like $160 down to $35 for a 100/20 plan. After a certain point it really isn't worth it but definitely takes some adjusting.

Geoff

VIP Member
Same, I ditched ATT Gig and TV for some basic TWC plan. It's like $160 down to $35 for a 100/20 plan. After a certain point it really isn't worth it but definitely takes some adjusting.
I'm surprised, did you just find that you didn't need that kind of speed very often?

In my case, general internet browsing, streaming video, and gaming are all perfectly fine. It's when I need to download a multi-gig file or upload my latest photos that I really miss fast internet. $35/mo for 100/20 is an amazing deal.

C4C

I'm debating getting Comcast again. I currently have a "hacked together" setup where my router connects to xfinitywifi, but that only gets me 14 down and 2 up. I miss my 175/15 connection but don't miss the $90 bill.
bummin' it off the neighbors? that's actually pretty smart.... i'm impressed...

Geoff

VIP Member
bummin' it off the neighbors? that's actually pretty smart.... i'm impressed...
Bummin' off Comcast. Created an account on my mother's Xfinity plan that lets me get free access to their hotspots. I connected my desktop to it, signed in, then cloned that MAC to my router.

Reactions: C4C

beers

Staff member
I'm surprised, did you just find that you didn't need that kind of speed very often?
Pretty much, I was pretty lazy and didn't swap all of our house wiring. Once our ATT router took a dump on AC, my 3502i WAP can only pump out ~140 mbit anyway which a lot of my internal hosts use.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yea no kidding... I wish they offered that speed here for $35/mo.

This is what we get for $35/mo http://www.shaw.ca/internet/highspeed-5/
That's embarrassing.

Pretty much, I was pretty lazy and didn't swap all of our house wiring. Once our ATT router took a dump on AC, my 3502i WAP can only pump out ~140 mbit anyway which a lot of my internal hosts use.
Really Tim? I'm surprised you didn't run 40 gig fiber to all your end devices, and 802.11ac wave 2 with 4x4 client adapters for all your wireless devices :p

beers

Staff member
That's embarrassing.

Really Tim? I'm surprised you didn't run 40 gig fiber to all your end devices, and 802.11ac wave 2 with 4x4 client adapters for all your wireless devices :p
IKR :D

I was even debating eBaying this 3560E that has 10G interfaces to the fileserver and VM host since I don't even move that much data between them or access from more than one host at a time.

40G crap seems pretty pricey though for switches and similar.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yeah, man the 100/10 plan with Rogers in unlimited but $88+tx

I'm on the 250/20 plan and its mad expensive! but we have so many devices
Ugh... if it wasn't for me going back to school in September and Shaw usually releases their student deals (60-70% off reg. price) for the internet packages in August, I probably would have switched to Telus.