Show off your speed

tylerjrb

3693162070.png

Heres mine, got mine upgraded to satellite and works amazing. can be a bit hit and miss sometimes do 10mb/s sometimes will do 32. the satellite costs cheaper than my old one which i used to get something rediculous like 1mb/s.

Geoff

VIP Member
Perfect for me, plus that's about the best you can get in Australia
I guess they really don't want anyone hosting a home server. Here that upload is what you get for the base, which is 16/2, but when you go up in packages they raise the upload as well. The highest they offer for cable is 150/20.

spirit

Staff member
With the prices you said houses go for, and the more expensive other items, I'd say it's a high price to pay to live in "paradise".

But remember Geoff, whilst the cost is living is higher jobs are probably better-paid (or paid higher compared to the average salary in the US).

Geoff

VIP Member
But remember Geoff, whilst the cost is living is higher jobs are probably better-paid (or paid higher compared to the average salary in the US).
Meh, I highly doubt that. More than a similar job in the middle of a Nebraska cornfield, but more than NYC, Boston, LA, DC, etc.? I don't think so. Depends on your work I guess.

Anyways, I'm staying in a hotel in San Francisco, the wifi is slow but usable:

Last edited:

Okedokey

Meh, I highly doubt that. More than a similar job in the middle of a Nebraska cornfield, but more than NYC, Boston, LA, DC, etc.? I don't think so. Depends on your work I guess.
[/IMG][/URL]

The latest Credit Suisse world wealth report released last week showed that, like last year, Australians are the richest people in the world. With a median wealth of US$219,500 per adult, we sit comfortably ahead of Luxembourg on $182,768. The US, with a median adult wealth of only $44,911, doesn't even make the top 25.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2013/oct/14/australia-wealth-top-world

Okedokey

No it doesn't. The average person is richer in Australia by far, your country is just not only poor but amazingly inequitable as well. You're comparing two different things. Your comparison is completely irrelevant to the discussion. See here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

Anyway, back on topic.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
No it doesn't. The average person is richer in Australia by far, your country is just not only poor but amazingly inequitable as well. you're comparing two different things. Your comparison is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Anyway, back on topic.
It's because the US is far more diverse, with many more immigrants, illegals, and homeless than you find in Australia. My article was completely relevant, showing that the US had the most wealthiest individuals, however since we have those other groups of people, it brings the average down.

The VCR King

I use public wi-fi a lot, like at restaurants and friends' homes, and I usually run SpeedTest.net Mobile Version to test their networks and normally the upload speed is twice as fast too.

Geoff

VIP Member
I use public wi-fi a lot, like at restaurants and friends' homes, and I usually run SpeedTest.net Mobile Version to test their networks and normally the upload speed is twice as fast too.
The only reason why mobile data has faster uploads in many areas is because typically most people are downloading data, so if you are connected to a site with many users, the download speed will be low. I'm really surprised you see that at friends homes and other places with few users though.

spirit

Staff member
Hmmm 'lovely' 3G on Vodafone at my home in Norfolk. I have a better signal here than in most of the county and even country though! :rolleyes:

14837763510_cf5253c4ed_b.jpg

Here is our Wi-Fi about 10 feet away from the router on my phone - BT fibre:

14837809408_b2f01ba575_b.jpg

Wi-Fi upstairs in my bedroom on my phone. Much lower up here because of distortion, of course. We need some Wi-Fi access points/boosters up here! ;)

I'm actually connected here to a sever in Welwyn Garden City which is about 80 or 90 miles away from me because the download speed is about 3 or 4 times faster than if I connect to a server in Norwich which is 10 miles up the road from me. :cool:

15024508615_363615f19b_b.jpg

Cable on my desktop upstairs (going through several switches):

3711467175.png

Last edited: