Shut Down or Sleep?

sdluthier

I just bought a new computer and I would like to know what the consesus is about shutting down the computer or putting it to sleep at night. Which is best to do? Will it affect the longevity of the computer is I shut it down each night and start it up again the next day? Is is preferable to leave it on all of the time and use the sleep function?
Sorry if this has already been covered-perhaps someone can point me to that thread if this is the case.
As always thanks for any advice!
pdo

My system-

Antec 902 V2
Gigabyte Z77-UD3H
i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
Scythe Ninja Rev.3
16GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
120GB Kingston HyperX SSD
1TB Seagate Barracuda
EVGA GTX 660Ti
850W Rosewill Extreme
LG 24X Multi-DVD
Windows Ultimate 64bit

wolfeking

banned
Sleep mode is not really the option there. Hibernate is your option.

Leaving it on or turning it off should not affect longevity at all, assuming that you have a moderate and safe Vcore for your OC. I run mine for weeks at a time, sometimes months before turning it off, and it has never really gave issues that were not already there to begin with.

JackTheGamer

I rarely shut off my computer as well, except for the occasional restart for when I get driver updates and what not. Just put that baby to sleep and it will be fresh and ready to start performing in the morning! Best of luck!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
User preference. If you to be able to access your system faster then choose sleep. I always shut down if its the end of the day. But if its during the day, I set it sleep.

spirit

Staff member
I tend to shut it down when I'm not using it, saves power. You've got an SSD, so shutting down and booting up should be quick anyway - so I'd just shut down.

I don't tend to use hibernate because it actually takes up a lot of disk space. By disabling it, I can free up around 10-20GB of disk space, which is a big deal for me since I'm on a 128GB SSD and I like to have some space left over. :)

AlienMenace

Mine runs all the time, except if I am going to be away from it for a couple of days. then I shut it down.

sdluthier

Thanks everyone for the responses-I can see there's no reason to be reluctant to shut down every night and boot the next day. I was wondering if the booting was a wear and tear thing on capacitors, etc., but I'm assuming given the responses that today's computers are built to withstand daily on and off, as well as running constantly for days if not weeks.

Deviousmind

I did this as a general rule for my olds pc and its now up in sons room still running fine,
If i was going to be away from pc for more than 2hrs i shut it down,
but its a personal choice mate,
i can only say now i have a ssd drive i really enjoy turning it on
and watching it booting up in no-time at all

Darren

Staff member
Mainly preference but I generally shut down mine every night. I'm not sure if it's the same now but when RAM was tight restarting would clear your RAM and prevent your system getting bogged down with stuff you leave running.