slow ripping speed

thewall

I have a sony viao and the cd drive is made by sony and is a 24x speed when ripping music of a cd to windows media player it takes 8mins to do a 50mins/47.1mb is this normal,i have a mac with a 24x and it took only 3.5mins,this has only happened since i had to return comp back to new using sony recovery wizard.Thanks

Klue22

comparing it to my ripping speeds yes it is, keep in mind that 47.1mb is the output on your comp, your comp will compress the files that it rips from the CD, (into either mp3 or wmv) in reality the CD is probably much fuller (is fuller a word?) anyways most CDs hold about 80 min of music, so if it rips in 8 minits thats 10x rip,
dont sweat a 4.5 minit difference

Matt_91

People still rip music? LOL

Yeah, some people still pay for their music

It could also be slower because Windows Media Player is making it a background operation, so that you can simultaneously play other audio files and run other programs without much difference in performance, instead of dedicating more resources to it.

Also, are you sure that you have set the same amount of compression in both Mac and Windows Media Player?

Last edited:

cg1349

banned
Slower rip is actually a good thing. It provides a more accurate reading of the disc to prevent errors. You will notice a difference in sound quality as well. Highs are clearer and the lows are stronger. Fast rips require more artifacts to be inserted in the music, making it sound less "crisp."

royalmarine

Slower rip is actually a good thing. It provides a more accurate reading of the disc to prevent errors. You will notice a difference in sound quality as well. Highs are clearer and the lows are stronger. Fast rips require more artifacts to be inserted in the music, making it sound less "crisp."

+1 to that. if i was ripping, it would be at slowest speed possible.

jgotfire

The ripping speeds are about right. I try to rip on the slower side for the quality. I’m still working on ripping around 2,000 CD’s.

I can feel your pain…

dznutz

this may or may not be related to your problem but my old pioneer 111 drive has a slow ripping speeds due to speed lock - a hardware limitation by the manufacturer.

and about slower rip speeds.... i cannot tell the difference between the quality of a slow rip or fast rip. normally when the drive is dirty or the disk has problems the drive will slow down the ripping speeds until the problem area is gone. but i always get an exact 1:1 rip regardless of speeds. anybody disagree?

Quick69GTO

I have two Pioneer DVR-111D in one PC that doesn't have the speed lock problem.
They do require a hard drive type IDE cable (40pin/80 conductor) so if your not using one, that might be why it's locking the speed.
I rip both DVDs and CDs at full speed and it's never been a problem for me. However, I do burn DVDs at no more than 6X and music CDs at 16X or less. Data Cds I burn at 6X or less.

Verve

Since you're not re-encoding the audio files, wouldn't it be faster to rip it in lossless format? Just popped into my head... would that make sense?