Slow SD Card

FATALiiTYz

Ok Guys, long story short, I bought myself an R4i Gold + 4gb Sandisk micro sd card. An R4i is basically a Mod chip intended for the DSi. Anyways, I got the card with the Sandisk 4gb micro sd card. I tried to load up a game, the loading screen comes up and then it freezes. This isn't the same with all games though, some make it to the menu, some don't. I've found that the less graphical intensive games seem to do ok, which I'm thinking is because the SD card is able to read the game fast enough whereas it can't with the more graphical intensive games. Movies and images work ok though, just not games. (BTW these games are legal). Out of desperation I tried my friends Crazy John's 1gb micro-sd card and wallah, it worked.

That's not the problem though. I went to shoppingsquare and bought another Sandisk 4gb class 2 memory card hoping it would fix the problem, but it didn't.

I'm thinking that the problem might be that the card simply isn't fast enough to read the games in time, but I'm not sure. The reason I bought another 4gb Sandisk was that I assumed that the one I got from HK with my R4i was simply a cheapy, not a legit 4gb.

Ideas?

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
could be a cheapy, i dont buy flash media online... easier to get in stores, at least itas legit. Maybe borrow a friends and see if it works?

Class 2 is the slowest SD card, try a class 4 or preferably a 6, they're a bit more expensive but going from a class 2 to a 6 in my phone significantly improved the speed.

FATALiiTYz

Bump. I think I have a theory. I was reading on a forum a lil' while back about the difference between the R4 and the R4 SDHC. The only thing that they noted was that the R4 SDHC has noticeably slower loading times and supports upto 32gb. I'm thinking that I will need a class 4 SDHC card to run the games, whilst a class 2 sd card will work fine with the games.

Thanks again for your help :)

Last edited: