Smoking Desktop

anbo369

Hey guys, just doing my friend a favor cos his desktop sort of started smoking and isn't working 100% anymore after he did some work on it.

His Computer
It's pretty beastin, he built it himself with good quality parts.

I think he's got an i5 second generation
gtx 570 in crossfire
8Gb Gskill ram
Antec psu
Asrock Fatality Mobo
HAF X Case

What's the problem?
He decided He wanted to do some cosmetic work and make his wires look nicer, so he bought some of these:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php...=18274&zenid=ae4d75ec92dbdbc495013a6247092a6e
He got them for all the connections, so the 24pin, molex cables and all that jazz.

Once he installed them the computer didn't boot. So he went back to using the original cables and all was fine, then he put those new white cables back in. This time the computer booted and everything was running smoothly...
Until he noticed smoke coming from the back of his computer. he quickly turned his computer off as soon as he noticed.

After inspecting the all the cables he found that the 24pin (white cosmetic one he bought) smells real smokey.
He's using his original cables now and his computer almost works perfectly, except external HDD aren't recognised.

So does this mean the mobo was screwed up by whatever happened?
Is there any sorting of testing to make sure the mobo isn't gonna explode in a week or two?
And is there any sort of repairs he can do to get the mobo to recognise external HDD?

Sorry about the massive slab of text, I just wanted to try tell the whole story at once otherwise it could get a little confusing.

Thanks for your time!!

*Edit*
when my mate plugs in his external HDD he gets a little pop up in the bottom right of his screen saying "inipio fault controller"

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You got some damage somewhere. Could be psu, motherboard, addon cards. You will need to do some diagnosing to find out whats bad. What is the exact model number of power supply?

spirit

Staff member
How many watts is the PSU? Two 570s are going to require quite a bit of power.

Have you got a working PSU you can test his motherboard with? Just to make sure the board is OK? Trying booting it without the 570s installed when using another power supply to test the board.