So many problems...

pockets23

I have a 4-year old computer running AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz, Gigabyte GA-7DXR with AGP Pro slot, 768 RAM. Monitor is AST Vision 4L.
Windows XP Professional
DirectX 8.1
My old graphics card was a bog-standard S3 Savage Pro 32MB.
I just got a inno3d Tornado GeForce FX 5200.

With my old card I couldn't get my screen resolution to 1024x768. I thought the new card would sort this out but it still goes nuts if I try to change it to 1024x768. I tried the TV as a second monitor but although the picture was there the small writing was too blurred (it is a cheap TV but the picture always seemed better than that playing from a DVD player).
Also, when I right-click on the Desktop and select nVidia Analogue Display it shows that the bus is AGP 2X when the box with my graphics card says 8X?!?

Soooo.... What's going on? I'm guessing you're going to tell me that my monitor and TV are crap and to chuck them and fork out a load of cash on a new one. Right?
The bus showing AGP2X? I don't know? Why?
Graphics wise, I want something that will go to at least 1024x768. Not essential for gaming, mostly Photoshop and Illustrator, Arkaos, video editing etc... Would like the option of a second monitor or TV. Want something that won't be obsolete next week but doesn't cost the earth. Should I be going for a completely different card?
Sorry for long post + thanks!

Tha Killa

Your motherboard only supports AGP 2x/4x. You might be able to change it to AGP 4X in your bios or something.

pockets23

Okay, thanks. But even if I can change it to AGP 4X (and I'd need help on that one) I'm kinda wasting the graphics card's full potential - should have no problem exchanging it for something more suitable in the shop.
Is this what's causing the bad flicker at 1024x768?

pockets23

P.S. If I try to install DirectX9 a message comes up saying "This ersion of DirectX is not compatible with the version of Windows currently installed.

pockets23

Already did that and same thing. Got the computer second-hand so might be oddgy ersion of Wondows on it? Make a difference?

Edit: Checked with another monitor and it runs at 1024x768 so that sorts that but still left with the question of whether I should get a more suitable card for the system?

Last edited:

ericvonzipper

In the display settings what is the color set to? 256 will cause a flikcker isn some cases, try 16 bit, High color. Some bios will allow you to change the 2x or 4x setting, my MSI 6380E will, my Shuttle A161 won't

StrangleHold

Staff member
Found this

As the names 7DX and 7DXR are quite similar, you could easily think that the 7DXR is an enhanced version. After comparing the two images, you may have noticed that the 7DXR design is completely different. It comes with five PCI slots, AGP Pro 4x, DualBIOS, Creative SB128 PCI sound chip and the Promise ATA/100 RAID chip.

It only has a 4X AGP slot, should be able to set it to 4X in bios and did you load the latest drivers for the card

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Last edited: