So Much eBay Spam!

PohTayToez

I don't know if anyone here is as avid of a user of eBay as I am, but has anyone else been experience the huge increase in eBay scam emails as I have in the last month or so? They're all the same, they find an auction that I've bid on, and then they send me a message saying they are the seller and the high bidder didn't follow through so they want to sell it to me. I swear, for every item I bid on I get like 3 of these emails. I mark everyone as spam, but they are just coming from so many different accounts that it doesn't do any good.

Gmail's spam filter has always been very good to me, but this seems to be the one thing it wont catch. Any one else have this problem?

Calibretto

VIP Member
I am a pretty active eBay user as well but haven't experienced the turmoil that you're going through. I don't think I've ever gotten an e-mail like that.

lion149

As am i, i have never had one of these scam emails ever. I hope you have contacted ebay about this because that is a very serious issue.

magicman

VIP Member
My mother recently received a spam eBay email, asking her to write to confirm that Paypal payment would be acceptable payment for a pair of of ice skates. Given that she didn't have an account with eBay, it was quickly spotted.

Although this isn't the same MO, it might suggested a new surge at spam attacks, perhaps due to an increase in the number of people trying to flog unwanted christmas gifts.

Although it is tedious, I would recommend reporting every instance to eBay via [email protected] , by forwarding the whole message to them. Hopefully they can build up a picture of how/where this is happening, and put a stop to it accordingly.

apj101

VIP Member
I don't know if anyone here is as avid of a user of eBay as I am, but has anyone else been experience the huge increase in eBay scam emails as I have in the last month or so? They're all the same, they find an auction that I've bid on, and then they send me a message saying they are the seller and the high bidder didn't follow through so they want to sell it to me. I swear, for every item I bid on I get like 3 of these emails. I mark everyone as spam, but they are just coming from so many different accounts that it doesn't do any good.

Gmail's spam filter has always been very good to me, but this seems to be the one thing it wont catch. Any one else have this problem?

solution: when you place bids you can select to make them anonymous, that way the seller will only find out who you are if you actually win.