SO when you think custom laptops going to be popular?

Don't Hack!!!

Well for now if you want the best of the best in a computer you obiously go for a desktop. I belive as the technology gets better and when the laptops performace gets as good as a highly effiecent desktop that desktops will start to go obsolete as you can have the same thing but in a smaller package. But then again if you pack a punch in a small frame as a laptop in the future imagine what you can do with a desktop. But overall laptops are more popular these days then desktops I know most of us here since it is a computer fourm are prefering desktops and Laptops are getting increasingly more popular for it portabilty and performace.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
But overall laptops are more popular these days then desktops

I wouldnt really agree with that, laptops ahve their uses and so do desktops. Have you got any facts and figures to back that up with?

Don't Hack!!!

Thats why i said qutoed most of you like desktops cause i know u all have friends thats know comps and prefer desktops but in general laptops are more popular

flame1117

banned
dragon2309 said:
I wouldnt really agree with that, laptops ahve their uses and so do desktops. Have you got any facts and figures to back that up with?

Yeah, i think desktops are more poplular.

Also you said desktops will become absolete once laptops technoogly gets abtter so its the same as a desktop, but once that technology gets better so will the desktop and the desktop will still be ahead.

SurpSystem

Laptops are becoming increasingly more popular which is evident in Advanced Micro Devices Inc.'s (AMD) second- quarter earnings report and Intel Corp.'s (INTC) mid-quarter update. This is because wireless internet surfing has extreme advantages. You can take your information anywhere with you and still connect to the internet so long as you are within a 50-100m range of a wireless connection (I reccomend parking outside PC world).

However desktop's are nearly always going to be more powerful as they have the size to contain greater technology.

Of course this technology will be shrunk over the years to Laptop and eventually Palmtop size but by then Desktop size technology will have moved on. Thus both have their advantages and disadvantages (as does everything so it seems).

mikekelly

I think the guy who made the thread is a bot confused, I wouldnt argue if he said laptops sales have increased over the last 5 years but surely desktop computers are much more common and probably will be for a long time if not forever.

As surpststem pointed out laptops do have the wireless option and this means you can be online on the move, but if you but computers for gaming/media and other uses then your probably gonna wanna do this at home and be happy with a desktop. just check the specs in the members sigs who post here, you wont find many laptops if any advertised they are all desktops loaded with high spec stuff you would have trouble fitting in a laptop.

flame1117

banned
hey if you WANT you can have a wireless desktop..It would just be a little heavy :) but you could keep it in your car and then it wouldn;t matter :)

Apathetic

Laptops are getting to people, this one dad I overheard saying that he got laptops for his family because desktops hardly have anything in them. I dont really care for it but all the same I would like a notebook even if it was as good as my IBM (18GB HD, PIII, 319MB RAM, CD-ROM/RW, DVD-ROM, Windows ME)

Don't Hack!!!

Apathetic said:
Laptops are getting to people, this one dad I overheard saying that he got laptops for his family because desktops hardly have anything in them. I dont really care for it but all the same I would like a notebook even if it was as good as my IBM (18GB HD, PIII, 319MB RAM, CD-ROM/RW, DVD-ROM, Windows ME)

I think he ment that There was alot of un used space in there. Heh Thats what allows a desktop to be better for now. More space better cooling for extreme processors and other parts. Hes the generaly typical guy who thinks he knows what hes talking about comps.

Desktops will always be more powerful than laptops becasue they are bigger in the same way that super computers will always be more powerful than desktops but eventually you wont need anymore power. After games have 10000000 polygon models and actually photorealistic rendering engines you just wont need anymore power (and probbably well before that). A long time ago you needed mainframes to run even simple programs but now you can just use desktops. Desktops will never be eliminated but over time people wont need the power of desktops and everything will shift to labtops (and there will be implants in the brain and tiny boxes like 2cm square that transmit stuff to the retina).

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
(and there will be implants in the brain and tiny boxes like 2cm square that transmit stuff to the retina).

LOL, crazy future your seeing but hey, it could well be on the horizon very soon. I've seen people who are blind been able to see again, through a system of something like 80,000 dots being read by a pair of glasses, this then gets sent to a big chip in the brain (implanted) which is transferred to a neurone plate which is inserted on the correct lobe of the brain for sight. Bobs you uncle, the blind person can see images made up of 80,000 dots in a dot matrix kinda thing.... Scary, open brain surgery. It was on TV about 6 months ago.

flame1117

banned
691175002 said:
Desktops will always be more powerful than laptops becasue they are bigger in the same way that super computers will always be more powerful than desktops but eventually you wont need anymore power. After games have 10000000 polygon models and actually photorealistic rendering engines you just wont need anymore power (and probbably well before that). A long time ago you needed mainframes to run even simple programs but now you can just use desktops. Desktops will never be eliminated but over time people wont need the power of desktops and everything will shift to labtops (and there will be implants in the brain and tiny boxes like 2cm square that transmit stuff to the retina).

I'd still. buy a desktop. I hate those laptop keyboards!!!

alanuofm

VIP Member
the gap between laptop and desktop speeds is not all that great. desktops are usually cheaper than laptops. laptops are great for traveling. they have their advantages and disadvantages.