Software for creating float charts?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
That good for family trees? Excel and Word may also have floatchart tools?
Visio is the dedicated flowcart software that Microsoft makes. Word and Excel are not flowchart applications but can create limited flowchart items.

Couriant

I live in a Microsoft ecosystem. You can't ask me that.
Same... haha.

Visio is the main application to create flowcharts, but it's not part of the MS Office Suite; it's standalone. You can get it along with your MS Subscription or as a perpetual license.

You may find that any reputable software will have a cost, and those that are 'free' are not free... probably laced with adverts or even some kind of spyware.

Google Drawings would be the closest you can get if Visio is not attainable: https://docs.google.com/drawings

Couriant

Is visio web-based or is there an offline version?
There is an online version with the subscription and an option to download. However, the online version does have basic functions to its offline counterpart. If you are not going to do any fancy then online should work.

There is an online version with the subscription and an option to download. However, the online version does have basic functions to its offline counterpart. If you are not going to do any fancy then online should work.
I prefer offline apps so I don't require constant connection.