Solder on plastic Lenovo power port?

novicegeek

Hi all,
I'm in over my head again, and once again, looking for someone who knows more than I do to bail me out. Our neighbor lady (about 80-years-old) has a Lenovo Yoga 2.11 laptop that she uses for social media, emails, and some cross-stitch program on social media. Anyway, she said it would not turn on. When I pressed the button, I got a flashing light, but it would not turn on. A big problem was the power port was not seated and her power cord could not reach the port to charge it, so I thought I would get it repositioned.

So, here's the issue. On the bottom of the plastic port there is what appears to be copper solder. There is metal on the sides of the port, but I'm uncertain whether the solder in the bottom goes to the sides because I tried to fix it without solder, cause I'm stupid, and it didn't work.

Anyway, my main question is, is this copper solder and I'm assuming it's necessary for the working of the computer and the people who originally put it together didn't just stick copper solder on the plastic because it was all they had to use.

The pics are ones I took of the port before I tried to stick it on there without solder. Sorry they are a bit blurry. At the time, I did not think they would be going public.

By the way, yes, I know that she'd probably be better off getting a new computer, but she and her husband are old and retired, and can't really afford such. That's pretty much why I am trying to repair it.

At any rate, if there's any light you can shed on this, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Attachments

• laptop power port - IMG_20231203_141649429.jpg
    laptop power port - IMG_20231203_141649429.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 4
  • laptop power port - IMG_20231203_142019268.jpg
    laptop power port - IMG_20231203_142019268.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 4

Darren

Staff member
Is the power jack on a cable that's plugged into the board (not soldered?). Looks like it. If so just pull that out completely, find a replacement on ebay, and stick it in there. I can't speak to the copper but the port should work even if it's loose as long as it's plugged in. If not then it need a new port. You shouldn't need to solder anything if the port is on a cable. You can use hot glue to hold it down in place once you confirm the port still works (or replaced it).

This is how we did laptop charging ports at the repair shop. Older ports needed soldered but even that was usually pretty easy. Most newer ones were the cable and hot glue to hold it in place if the plastic bracket where it sat is gone or loose.

novicegeek

Darren, you're a genius. I don't know why I didn't think of that - well, I guess I do know - I'm just a novice geek. Yes, it's plugged in to the motherboard, so that should work.

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. I've been horribly busy before Christmas break.

Thank you for your solution.

BlondA

Hi all,
I'm in over my head again, and once again, looking for someone who knows more than I do to bail me out. Our neighbor lady (about 80-years-old) has a Lenovo Yoga 2.11 laptop that she uses for social media, emails, and some cross-stitch program on social media. Anyway, she said it would not turn on. When I pressed the button, I got a flashing light, but it would not turn on. A big problem was the power port was not seated and her power cord could not reach the port to charge it, so I thought I would get it repositioned.

So, here's the issue. On the bottom of the plastic port there is what appears to be copper solder. There is metal on the sides of the port, but I'm uncertain whether the solder in the bottom goes to the sides because I tried to fix it without solder, cause I'm stupid, and it didn't work.

Anyway, my main question is, is this copper solder and I'm assuming it's necessary for the working of the computer and the people who originally put it together didn't just stick copper solder on the plastic because it was all they had to use.

The pics are ones I took of the port before I tried to stick it on there without solder. Sorry they are a bit blurry. At the time, I did not think they would be going public.

By the way, yes, I know that she'd probably be better off getting a new computer, but she and her husband are old and retired, and can't really afford such. That's pretty much why I am trying to repair it.

At any rate, if there's any light you can shed on this, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
The power point is usually stable unless there is high data or transfer of data