Some kind of Parental Control?

david76008

Well guys, I'm looking for a software that will do the following:

I need a software that will keep track of the computers actions. By the way, it's going to be a laptop with access to Internet.

I (hope) it can take some images of what the user has been doing.
And let me track it from a different computer. I know this might be too hard, complicated, but there has to be something out there that will allow me to do this. Or part of it at least. I have already tried K9, and love it. But I'm looking to see if I can see the screen from a different computer.

No, I'm not stalking someone.

tlarkin

VIP Member
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? A web filter? Is this for personal or for business. There is a fine line that can be crossed here.

david76008

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? A web filter? Is this for personal or for business. There is a fine line that can be crossed here.

Well it's going to be personal. I won't be home to monitor that Laptop, and would like to see what they have been doing.

I'm going out for a trip. But me and my wife want to monitor that laptop to see what has been done in it.

We would like to monitor it, but would like some kind of pictures. Hoping we can access this from another computer. The laptop already has K9, and another keylogger software, but the keylogger software can only be viewed from the Laptop it's self.

tlarkin

VIP Member
First off, uninstall IE completely, it is a waste of space, a security threat, and well it sucks performance wise.

Here go some third party extensions which I have used at work (I managed a bunch of computers for a public school system) to keep the kids off the naughty stuff.

You can download these for free.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=parental&status=4

then this extension hides a lot of the features that allow users to get around certain things

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3911

With public fox you can actually lock down the history, so no one can delete the browser history at all. It also puts the apps preferences in a hidden drop menu and it is password protected so it would be impossible for them to hack, well as long as they are logging into windows with a managed account and don't have rights to install/uninstall software because then they can just uninstall it firefox to begin with, and download a new copy, or run a new copy anyway.

Its going to be hard to lock down windows because of its crappy security design but it can be done.

david76008

Wow that is actually pretty nice. That was another problem. They knew how to delete the History since it's right there, but this helps a bunch as well.

We will be gone for a good week. Would like to monitor the computer while we are gone, but I guess we won't have to if we really set some rules and block a few sites.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
public fox has the ability to lock down all setting with a master password, and it can even make it so the browsing history can never be deleted (except it will over write itself ever 10 days by default I think). That is how I got around all the brats using web proxies and making me do all kinds of dumb extra work when I could have spent my time doing better things. Gotta do what the bosses want though.