Speed up loading performance

aspfun

My company gave me a HP laptop for VPN. Most time I do not use VPN unless I need it. The laptop take a long time to load.
Is there any way to make loading fast? I open msconfig and try to disable some loading but I am not sure which one should be stop loading.

spynoodle

best thing you can do for load times is invest in an ssd.
WTF? Are you serious? An SSD? Give me a break. You could buy a new laptop for the price you pay for those things. Here's what you do:
-Defragment your Hard Drive
-Clear your C:\Windows\TEMP folder
-Google the different tasks that you find in the Startup tab of Msconfig. Disable the unnecessary ones. One that I think you can disable is Qttask, if you have it.
-Do you have antivirus? if not, than DEFINITELY GET A FREE ONE AND RUN A SCAN!!!!

NCspecV81

banned
WTF? Are you serious? An SSD? Give me a break. You could buy a new laptop for the price you pay for those things. Here's what you do:
-Defragment your Hard Drive
-Clear your C:\Windows\TEMP folder
-Google the different tasks that you find in the Startup tab of Msconfig. Disable the unnecessary ones. One that I think you can disable is Qttask, if you have it.
-Do you have antivirus? if not, than DEFINITELY GET A FREE ONE AND RUN A SCAN!!!!

you can get a laptop for 200 or less? o.0

spynoodle

you can get a laptop for 200 or less? o.0
Okay, maybe not a brand new one, but you could get a laptop for 200$ on ebay that would most likely be more powerful than his current one with an SSD. I didn't mean to completely bash SSDs in general, but I don't think that they would really help in this situation. :(

Ihatethedukes

An SSD would likely reduce his boot times by 2/3 .... at the worst.... there's no $200 laptop on ebay that can do that. It's a big assumption that his computer is slow seeing as they just gave it to him. Working out his boot up options will likely at best give him 10% faster.

OT: I'd disable every 3rd party program and then see what disappears that I needed and then just reenable those that I need.

spynoodle

An SSD would likely reduce his boot times by 2/3 .... at the worst.... there's no $200 laptop on ebay that can do that. It's a big assumption that his computer is slow seeing as they just gave it to him. Working out his boot up options will likely at best give him 10% faster.

OT: I'd disable every 3rd party program and then see what disappears that I needed and then just reenable those that I need.
If he really wanted to upgrade, then I think that getting more RAM would much more greatly help him. He could upgrade to 6GB easy with the money he'd spend on an SSD, or at least the max his laptop supports.

Aastii

VIP Member
ihatedukes, if his system is slow, I highly doubt a SSD, would help, it would be bottlenecked by the CPU or memory, and also, read the next paragraph after "but as a it is", and that will give another reason why that won't work

Other than clearning your hard drive and defragging, not much more you can do unless you plan on spending money, then you can upgrade your memory and that is about it with a laptop other than getting a brand new one, but as it is a works system, I doubt they would let you change the internals :)

meticadpa

If he really wanted to upgrade, then I think that getting more RAM would much more greatly help him. He could upgrade to 6GB easy with the money he'd spend on an SSD, or at least the max his laptop supports.

...really?

Unless you're doing very intensive photo/video editing, anything more than 4Gb is pretty overkill (6Gb I can see the purpose for an i7 setup due to 2 x 3Gb sticks for Tri-Channel), but otherwise it's just a silly idea. 6Gb wouldn't help things here.

The SSD idea is the best, along with a re-install of Windows; application and OS boot time are extremely reliant on the storage device more than anything else.

Of course, I wouldn't use anything with less than 2Gb of RAM these days, so if you've got an SSD and 2Gb+ of RAM, you're good to go, and can only be bottlenecked by the CPU, which has pretty much no impact on the OS boot times.

Aastii

VIP Member
...really?

Unless you're doing very intensive photo/video editing, anything more than 4Gb is pretty overkill (6Gb I can see the purpose for an i7 setup due to 2 x 3Gb sticks for Tri-Channel), but otherwise it's just a silly idea. 6Gb wouldn't help things here.

The SSD idea is the best, along with a re-install of Windows; application and OS boot time are extremely reliant on the storage device more than anything else.

Of course, I wouldn't use anything with less than 2Gb of RAM these days, so if you've got an SSD and 2Gb+ of RAM, you're good to go, and can only be bottlenecked by the CPU, which has pretty much no impact on the OS boot times.

like I said in my last post, he probably won't be able to, because it is a works laptop.

Obviously if they just gave it to him straight up and it is now his, fair doos, but as it sounds like he got it given to him by the company to use for works business, so it is still the company's, he won't be able to, so software is the only way to do it

meticadpa

like I said in my last post, he probably won't be able to, because it is a works laptop.

Obviously if they just gave it to him straight up and it is now his, fair doos, but as it sounds like he got it given to him by the company to use for works business, so it is still the company's, he won't be able to, so software is the only way to do it

Hm, I didn't actually think that they might be less than happy for him to upgrade the laptop himself...

If he was going to do it by software, then I'd recommend CCleaner for a registry cleaner, it's served me well (although I admittedly don't use it much.)

The biggest difference will be from a fresh install of Windows, maybe he could Vlite his Windows 7 Disc (if he has one) to get rid of all the useless crap.

Aastii

VIP Member
also defraggler rather than the windows defrag tool, it is generally better. Or, if you are willing to spend a bit of money, O&O defrag. Has lots more tools and I have found it quicker and much better (frees up more space and makes my system faster) than ust about any other defrag utility