Starting A Website

mustardgas

Hello everyone.

I'd like to set up a website to showcase my art. The site wouldn't be used for anything more than to exhibit thumbnails of my work which could be enlarged. There won't be any flash animation.

What am I required to do in order to accomplish this? What are some of the most reliable and affordable web hosts out there? What kind of software will I need? Can anyone recommend some good tutorials? Any information you can provide is helpful, as I'm completely ignorant about this process.

Thanks.
-mgas

/\E

If you're wanting a site to show off art, I would suggest that you research Coppermine and Lightbox.

wragh

there are some free hosts too like 110MB, Webs or Bravenet, but obviously they aren't as good as paid hosts. good luck with your project!

epidemik

If you're wanting a site to show off art, I would suggest that you research Coppermine and Lightbox.

This is definitely the way to go if youre doing just photography and just want something easy to use. You don't have to deal with any code if you do use coppermine.

However, if you're looking to learn some coding and build something from the ground up, read through some of the stuff on w3 schools.

natashamartin

Showing off your artistic work thru a website is definitely a good idea. Let me help you in getting started based on my personal experience. :) First, get a good domain name. You can register in sites like GoDaddy.com. Then do your research about good web hosts. What I did was to list down web hosts based on reviews and I weighed pros and cons to help me decide in getting a good host. I landed into getting Hostgator. One tip is to know what your needs are for running a site and match them with what a web host can provide (technical stuff like bandwidth, disk space or programming languages they support etc.). As for hosting plan to avail, I think a personal plan will work for you. But you can also get a business plan if you wish. Anyway, the difference is just minimal. Goodluck!