Starting Over(OS, Partition), Help

Leenis24

So i got my new comp in yesterday everything installed perfectly and booted up with no problems. Only one thing, when i installed win 7 to my 320 GB HDD, i went and partitioned the drive at 50 GB for the OS and the rest put on another partition. So i screwed up there because i never formated the larger partition and now when i go into My computer to see the drives i have, it only shows the 50GB partition and thats it. It wont even recognize the other 270 GB anywhere.

So now i ask how do i start over? Need to reformat the whole drive so i can get both partitions to work and be recognized. How do i go about doing this, i didnt see anything in the BIOS for anything close to helping me wipe clean and start over.

Last edited:

If your reinstall windows 7 it should ask you where you want to install it. It will also show all partitions and there should be a mode to delete it. (press l or d?)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All you need to do is go into disk management, partition and format the balance of the drive.

Right click "computer" in your start menu, click on manage, on the page that comes up, click on disk management on the left, then right click on the unpartitioned balance of the drive and partition it then format to your liking.

pjtrucker

Hello Leenis24,

Try to do this. I hope this helps.

1. Go to Start -> Right Click My Computer -> Managepartiton 1

2. You will then be brought to the Computer Management Programpartiton 2

3. Click on the Storage bar and under it click on Disk Managementpartition 3

4. Then select the Drive you want to partition, In this example I will select the Drive D: “Vista”partition 4

5. Now right click on the drive and select Shrink Volumepartition 5

6. You will then be presented with a Window showing you the Size of the Hard drive and the total amount available to Shrink. Since my hard drive is quite full I have a smaller amount available to Shrink.Enter in the amount you would like to shrink ( This will be the size of the new partition ) It can’t be more than the amount available to you and remember that Approx 1000 Mb = 1 GBpartition 6

7. After you have entered your values, click shrink and let it do it’s thing. Depending on the size of the drive and amount to shrink this could take a while. Just be patient and once it’s done you will see an unallocated space which is the size you just shrunk the volume by. Select it and right click and then select New Simple Volumepartition 7

8. Follow the Wizard that appears and fill in the Size of the Partition, Generally the size you just shrunk the drive by.

9. Assign a drive letter, Pick one of your choice it doesn’t make a difference

10. Then on the Format page, Ensure NTFS is selected and then Enter a name for your Drive – ie. “Music” and click next followed by finishparition 8

There you have it, A new partition on your hard drive to do what you like with it.