Startup Issues

eddie57

Hi,

My friend's laptop isn't starting up. When we try starting it up is just gives us the message that "Windows is loading files". It just stays there and never boots up.

I tried starting it in safe mode and it gave us the message: "no bootable device, insert boot disk and press any key". It has windows 7 installed. Can I create a boot disk from my Desktop? Any comments or suggestions that might help are appreciated. Thanks.

E

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have him look in the documentation that it came with on how to reinstall windows. Laptops usually have a recovery partition that you boot into that will reinstall the os or actually repair it since it windows 7. However, he may have a failing hard drive on his hands.

eddie57

No experience with Linux and I don't have any instructions on how to reinstall windows from partition. Open to other suggestions.

Is it possible to download a startup disk from the web?

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As I said look in the owners manual or contact the laptops manufacturer for support on how to reinstall/repair the operating system.

2048Megabytes

I would try holding down the F8 key right at start up to try "Last Known Good Configuration." If that doesn't work try "Safe Mode."

eddie57

Original Message

See my original message. Nothing is working. I am going to try and make a windows 7 startup disk and see if that helps. I have a feeling the laptop may have been infected by viruses. Not really sure but you know how these kids download stuff and don't scan them for viruses before opening. The user's manual said to use the recovery cd which I don't have. I am still open to suggestions

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Hi,

My friend's laptop isn't starting up. When we try starting it up is just gives us the message that "Windows is loading files". It just stays there and never boots up.

Something is seriously messed up with your Windows files.Your only chance is to boot to Windows 7 disk and perform the repair.Maybe you will have to even completely reinstall Windows 7 OS.
Since you said you do not have the disk,try booting into SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT.If you were able to do that,in the command prompt write:

CHKDSK C: /p /r

NOTE: "C:" is the drive letter on which Windows 7 OS is installed so make sure you use the right one!

If this did not help,as much as I know Windows 7 also offers the repair mode from the Advanced startup mode (the place where you usually choose the SAFE MODE) and you can try to use that to repair the damaged files since Windows 7 contains those files locally on the disk so you might not need the Windows 7 disk.

If nothing helps,then you will either do what johnb35 told you or you will have to somehow get the Windows 7 disk because without it there is not much what you can do...

You can if you want try to contact my UAC team and they might help you to fix this problem,but I can't guarantee you anything since you do not have the disk.Here is their mail:

[email protected]

But like I said...you will probably must get the Windows 7 disk or at least get a recovery disk like johnb35 said.

Anyway you first try SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT like I wrote above and report back with the results,but I am pretty sure your MBR is missing since you said that it says: "No bootable device,insert boot disk and press any key".

Cheers!

NDSUTopGun

ALSO: if you have a flash drive that you're not using, you can install the Linux operating system onto that flash drive (needs to be like 4GB capacity I think) and be able to boot up the Linux OS called Ubuntu from the flash drive. I use that trick all the time when Windows crashes and I want to go into my hard drive to extract all my personal files to an external hard drive so I don't lose all that information. You will also be able to diagnose if your hard drive is still functioning. It's a temporary operating system method that I love to use in times of dire need.

Getting Ubuntu OS:
If you have a friend's computer handy. Go online and you can download Ubuntu to the desktop. That would be an install file that you can then "burn" onto a blank optical disc or flash drive that will then function as an installer for Ubuntu.