stereo system used w/ my PC

Calibretto

VIP Member
Ok I have a 90 watt RCA stereo system hooked up to my computer through a 3.5mm to the red and white RCA plugs. I'm using onboard sound. Would I notice a big difference in sound if I got a sound card?

Geoff

VIP Member
It depends if the stereo system you have now is connected through a decent receiver, or if it's just outputting the sound from the RCA inputs without processing it.

Calibretto

VIP Member
its connected through a receiver (it has the 5-disc CD changer and all that) and then outputted to the speakers.

sho95

I had a notebook running that same way a DJ system and sounded great cause the amp and EQ was doing all the work.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Yeah i have my stereo/receiver hooked up like that. Your not going to notice a difference because like others said, its the receiver doing all the work. Sounds better than a CD and im using onboard sound.

Im thinking that will apply to your stereo also..

CG man

A better sound card will give more sound detail and less noise how much better it sounds depends on how good your stereo can convert the signal to sound.

paratwa

If your looking for high end sound, then you will always be better off using a dedicated sound card. Anytime the sound is built into the motherboard you are going to get some noise in the signal. Getting the sound off the board allows cleaner sound and better signal processing.

And running through your home system does nothing but process the signal that has already been processed on your computer. Unless you run a cable directly from your cd/dvd player to a digital to analog processor.

Yeah i have my stereo/receiver hooked up like that. Your not going to notice a difference because like others said, its the receiver doing all the work. Sounds better than a CD and im using onboard sound.

Thats a incorrect statement. The receiver is processing signals that have already been processed inside your computer. So the initial signal comes from the computer already full of noise and the receiver can not remove the noise. It can only be as good as the signal it gets.

Last edited:

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Your right, i guess my onboard sound is damn good then :p

For the price of a good sound card though, unless your a DJ or have money to blow. I dont really think its worth it..

And even more so not worth it with a 90w RCA stereo ;)

paratwa

Your right, i guess my onboard sound is damn good then :p

For the price of a good sound card though, unless your a DJ or have money to blow. I dont really think its worth it..

And even more so not worth it with a 90w RCA stereo ;)

I have my system hooked up to a 150 watt Onyko stereo receiver and a pair of $200 Infinity book shelf speakers, I would defiantly hear the difference between onboard and a dedicated card. And let me tell you, it sounds much better than any dedicated computer speaker setup you can buy.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Dont know about that, these x-530 speakers sound alot better for gaming thus being surround sound. And i use the receiver for music (600w sony 5.1 w/ 4 12" floor speakers)

I do plan on getting a sound card later on though, it may make it sound better. Only one way to find out :p

paratwa

The problem with USB is that it does all of its processing on the CPU, which will slow down games and any other intensive program.

I would stay away from USB sound devices.

amanda223

Well i have a same card and it like d.j and sounds very good ... onlybecause i have attached an emp .... try to atach an emp then report...