still having a problem someone help

well... i had a problem with my desktop where the computer froze, nothing worked like ctrl alt del but i turned it off and when it turned back on the monitor never came back on. i though it was the gfx card but i switched it out for another card (one of my friends cards) and it still didn't work. i have now narrowed it down to the mobo, pci express slot or my processor. what do you guys think it could be? we had a heat wave so i dont know if that could have anything to do with like overload the cpu with electromanitivity or something. i just want to find out what would be rong so i can get it warranted by newegg. anyone have any suggestions?

PC eye

banned
There are a few things to look at there. First it wouldn't be the cpu or the system wouldn't even startup. A bad dimm could see system locks if the system bios isn't the problem. On new systems one regular advice given especially with the newer dual core cpus being used is to try a bios update. The most likely points more at the board from your description.

when it frist happend and i restarted it the thing booted up but there was no video coming out, i heard windows boot up but i didnt see it, the screen is just blank and it says not input signal. then i restarted it again and it didnt even get past windows login because i didnt hear it. so what should i do to figure out what i need to replace? i dont want to get my mobo replaced and have it not be my mobo that is bad- jay

PC eye

banned
One thought mentioned before was a need for a bios update if no fault is found with the board itself. Is the bios setting on PCI or PCI-E? With a shaky bios EProm programming information lost there can cause a number of problems to come up. If there is onboard video make sure that is disabled.

yes ive tried the monitor on another computer (my sisters) and it works fine. and it doesnt have an on board but how am i supposed to even get into bios if i cant see it?

PC eye

banned
If the board was just ordered from them the best thing would be to ship it back since that's the most likely cause. Take a close look at the board itself for any bulged out or leaking capacitors. You could have a bad diode as well. The lack of any signal points at the vga circuit on the board having a fault.

SirKenin

banned
The reason that it didn't boot the second time is because it was waiting for user input to boot into normal mode or safe mode because it didn't shut down properly the first time... Thus, we can rule the following things out:

CPU
VGA
HDD
CD
RAM

There is no PCI-e circuit. It is just a 16 lane BUS that is a direct path to the Northbridge. The NB controls the slot.

However, we know that the NB isn't burned out because the SATA channels travel through the NB. If the NB was burned out the computer wouldn't even boot. I suppose it is possible that it is partly burned out, but the chances of that are virtually nil. If your NB fan is still working then I'm sure it's fine.

I guess the only thing that really makes any sense is that there is no power getting to the PCI-e. That is one of the only things I can think of. You would have to back up to the mobo PS and see if the regulator is damaged or anything. Also, there is one more thing. There should be a plug going to your VGA. Make sure it is plugged in. If it is, then I would strongly suggest trying a different PSU before you look for a damaged regulator.

well... i do have the conector for my gfx card, should i start the psu up and see if its getting power to that cable? thanks alot for pointing out what can be rong, i wouldnt be able to figure this out on my own. so what should i do... replace my mobo or the psu?

*i had a problem with not gettin as much fps as i should have been getting, mabe this could be about the psu and the connector to the gfx card not getting enough power or something?

Last edited:

SirKenin

banned
Just look for someone else that has the same PSU and try that first. If it works, you found your problem and you can have it replaced. Otherwise you will have to RMA your board.

how would i be able to find someone with the same psu? i could find a psu that wont be as powerful but probally not the same one, ill look. thanks for the info - jay

PC eye

banned
You will want to borrow or buy even a supply that will have the 24pin not 20pin main connector on it so that it would work on that make+model board. Look over the connector going to the board to see which one you have. Most newer supplies have the 4pin section that slides off for use on older boards. The requirements for power in the user's manual or specifications online will indicate whether it is the 20 or 24 pin required there.

SirKenin

banned
how would i be able to find someone with the same psu? i could find a psu that wont be as powerful but probally not the same one, ill look. thanks for the info - jay

It doesn't matter if it meets the exact same power requirements. All you want to do is hook up your main HDD, the motherboard and the VGA, just to see if it boots. If it does, you found your problem. :)

PC eye

banned
You can powerup a system without even having a hard drive connected just to see if any signal comes to the screen. Here you want to see if the post tests or board manyfactuer's logo appears. That will tell you right off if the card is getting power or not.

PC eye

banned
I know the newer revised model supplies that are SLI certified have that. But the earlier 24pin models used on Socket 754 model boards probably lack that due to those running the early PCI-E model cards. Those were no more then 4x/8x cards in the newer type of slot. With the newer Antec models the one thing that seems to be seen on the packaging right off is the "revised" printed on the retail box. That is the thing to look for with Antec.

On other brand supplies look over the spscifications for the list of connectors. That will tell you right away if that model has it or not. Some older styled supplies are still being sold at this time. So keep that in mind when choosing the new one.