Strange activity on FTP: Security ?

compulsiveguile

I recently setup an ftp site, and in my server log, an IP that I don't recognize keeps attempting to connect. I get a message that says:

Code:
Jul 11 17:21:38 xcomputernamex pure-ftpd: ([email protected]) [WARNING] Authentication failed for user [X]

(X's used for privacy reasons)

I get the exact same message on average about every 8 seconds. Out of curiosity, I went to http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm and looked up the IP, and according to the site, this location is quite a few miles away from me.

If I'm correct, somebody has a program/script running that just tries a common user name and generates passwords hoping that by chance it can access my system and wreak havoc or simply use my free server space for a warez site or something of that sort. Am I correct in thinking this, and if so, what should I do to ensure security?

-Using Mac OSX 10.4-

AdmnPower

VIP Member
believe it or not i've been having similar issues with my ftp server, what i did was setup the server to auto block the ip after 10 invalid tries. That way i can screw up a few times, but then again with only 10 tries there is no way they can guess both my username and password.