Tablets for PDF reading

The Astroman

Hey guys,

I'd like to buy a tablet as a gift for my girlfriend. She would mainly use it to read PDFs, in particular to read laws (that's what she studies). That way, she wouldn't need to print thousands of pages and could simply read it on her tablet. I know she hates reading on a screen so it would have to be an e-ink tablet. What are your recommendations for a tablet which would best serve this purpose, and cost up to USD 200?

I've been looking at the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite recently, it looks great but I'm not sure whether the PDFs would render nicely on it. It looks like a small screen, could it handle a PDF like this one: http://www.admin.ch/ch/e/rs/2/220.en.pdf

If any of you own the tablet(s) that you would recommend, could you perhaps try loading up the above PDF and let me know if it's readable? Bonus points for pictures :)

Thanks for your input!

DMGrier

VIP Member
I don't know if kindle can run pdf, I know it can run mobi format files which you can convert a pdf to mobi using calibre which is runs on Windows or Linux.

strollin

According to the Amazon website, the Kindle Paperwhite can render pdf docs. I can't say how well they will look on the screen but they can be zoomed in/out (that can be a hassle).

BTW, the Kindle Paperwhite isn't considered a tablet, it's an ereader. The Kindle Fire models are Android tablets which can function as an ereader using the Kindle App. The ereaders excel at reading but that's pretty much their limit while tablets can run other apps and have more functionality but aren't as good for just reading.