Taking Wikipedia With Me

4W4K3

VIP Member
It might be easier to ask whoever is in control of Wikipedia's backup, to load all data from [insert date] to current, and mail it to you lmao. Probably wouldn't do it though. If you're really intent on having all of their information, apj seems to have the solution. Your ISP will definetly hate you, and anyone who shares your connection :p

OS Dragon

Hey Guys...I haven't been here for a long time. Mostly because I had to give up computing but I'm taking an interest in it again.
I would like to ask for your opinions on a question relating to digital encyclopedia(s) and memory.
Question: How much memory would it take to build an encyclopedia thats bigger than Wikipedia, that isn't web based?

Last edited:

OS Dragon

This is just an idea. For example, if someone wanted to make an extensive encyclopedia for an organisation's use. How much memory would be needed to build it. Granted, it would be on a 70% text layout, very much like Wikipedia.

jimmymac

VIP Member
Early in Wikipedia's history, in August 2003, the database was roughly 16 GB and uploaded images and media files took another gigabyte or so. In February 2003 it was about 4 GB. By April 2004, this had grown to about 57 GB, and was growing at about 1 to 1.4 GB per week, and by October 2004, it had grown to about 170 GB. This includes all languages and support tables but not images and multimedia. As of late August 2006, database storage takes about 1.2 terabytes:
  • English Wikipedia core database: 163G
  • Other Florida-based core databases: 213G
  • Other Korea-based core databases: 117G
  • Text storage nodes: 44G, 44G, 200G, 149G, 166G, 84G, 84G
This may include free space inside database storage files, as well as a lot of indexing. Uploaded files took up approximately 372 gigabytes as of June 2006, excluding thumbnails.
there you go, approx 1.5TB would cover it

brian

VIP Member
psh!!! i can do that... give me a year and many angry phone calls from comcast i think i can do it :D