Temp reading going crazy!

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
ok i have a really wierd problem. My cpu, amd 64-2800 s754 has the most unstable temperature i've ever seen, and i'm suspecting something is wrong. When i boot the computer and left it on bios for a bit and it read about 20C. When i boot the comp on xp and ran fan speed/everest it red 18C. Then about 2 seconds later it jumped to 55C then it went down and up and down. WHAT IS GOING ON!? Any help is appreciated.

apj101

VIP Member
your fan is busted... theres no way it can jump speeds the crazy if the fan is working. check the fan
could be this, but then how would you get reading so low... if the fan is bust then the temps would be higher. Unless the broken fan has become more efficient than most water cooling systems :D I think we could be looking at a shot temperature diode.
yeah turn smartfan or what ever it is called off in your bios
potentially a good idea, but then still wouldn't explain why we see readings of 20C

First what motherboard is it, and what cpu.
Second are you sure that you are reading the correct temperature
Third what temp do you get if you leave it in bios for 10 minutes or so

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hmmm

I think that the temperature sensor is bust. The reading is too low to be true. Could be the fan going UBER fast at moments and slowing down considerably in other instances. Check the sound of the fan. My guess is still taht the sensor has gone wrong.

JAN :D

apj101

VIP Member
Could be the fan going UBER fast at moments and slowing down considerably in other instances.
i dont think a fan could physically go fast enough to cool it down to 18c. The only opions are the read is wrong, human error, or the sensor is buggered

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
my motherboard and cpu are both brand new. The fan is working all the time and its spinning at 4000+ rpm. Right now speedfan, everest and pc wizard are all reading 22C on the cpu. I'm guessing the sensors are broken cause 22C is a way too low for stock cooling. I have a FIC K8-800T MB. And I don't overclock. My Vcore is running at 1.46V if anyone cares.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Lol

Well actually when I think about it, 22 Celsius may be off but not too much off. In the winter when the room temp was some 18 Celsius in my room, I had mine at 25 Celsius (Athlon 64 3000+). However, it's still most likely off. However, I would have my mobo replaced.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Cromewell said:
That sensor isn't on the mobo, it's on the CPU die.

Yeah we know that, what I mean is that the mobo may not be accessing that info right and hence supplying conflicting data.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
i have a skt 754 system and i have alway had problems with the temperature readings. i normally flash the bios using the windows utility supplied by abit, but i was told flashing to the latest bios using the dos utility would solve this which it did... you could try that as an almost last resort

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I'm not gonna get a new mobo cause this one is brand new. I'm gonna buy some arctic silver 5 in a bit just incase something is a bit hot in there.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah we know that, what I mean is that the mobo may not be accessing that info right and hence supplying conflicting data.
What I meant was if the diode is faulty (as is most likely the case) the only way to fix it is to get a new CPU, changing the board would do nothing.